LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• This is a test to see if my account has been reinstated.  I hope it has.

Selected excerpts to commemorate the day - Klivee bringing sticks, a couple of close-ups, and Klive's final evening visit and departure:

IMAGICAT

Canuck said:

This is a test to see if my account has been reinstated.  I hope it has.

It has!

Oh happy day Heart eyes

IMAGICAT

• So glad to see you back again Canuk!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

07 July

First in this morning - Great Tits (fast-forwarded):

Klive arrived around 10:00, mostly preening on the perch, a bit of work on the nest - here he was taking off to fetch something for the nest after one hour on the perch:

Then he did more preening in the old nest area:

Back to the nest for a minute or two, flew off at 12:01.

IMAGICAT

• All quiet since Klive left the nest.  We were treated to views of the perches, the old nest and the new.

The old nest structure, showing the reinforcements after it was 'chopped' down many years ago, and Oldin's perch on the right

The current nest

A longer, lower view of the current nest.

Still no signs of life, no sign of Asha.

08 July

I was supposed to be remembering a few times but they've gone out of my head!  Approximately...

07:37 - Female woodpecker to cam post, my efforts at putting the sound on the PTZ proved to be a waste of time cos there was so little sound, and snaps were abandoned cos they were so grainy.  The state I'm in, you'd think it was September!

Klive flew to nest perch 08:36:

He stayed there preening as usual for quite a while, popped down onto the nest for a minute or two, flew off.

Next seen somewhere I don't recognise, flew off at 09:51:

G'night for now.

IMAGICAT

• Ion my tablet so it's  not easy to trail thru the cam.

14.42 the campaigned around to lovely  distant views, nearer to the edge of the trees and the two dead trees, then on a round of the perches.

14.45 cam moved to the nest, until

14.54 the ca  zoomed to what I think is one off the regular perches where Klive sat, back towards us, with a huge brown trout. No sign or sound  of Asha 

16.55 Klive remained with the fish standing/perched waiting, and in no hurry to finish the fish.  Zoom cam spun round to the nest, leaving Klive with his fish.  Presumably it staff ho e time.

I had a skim thru and again can't  swear it, but I didn't  see Klive back on the nest, nor any sight of Asha.

SheilaFE said:
    on my tablet
    SheilaFE said:
    the campaigned around

We'd have guessed Heart eyes

I nearly missed the female GSW - possibly the one I failed with yesterday, but that one wasn't zoomed, this one was very worthwhile spending a little time on but couldn't find any sound on the nestcam mike:

SheilaFE said:
    Klive sat, back towards us, with a huge brown trout

The tree - somewhere to the right of the nest, it seems, as the PTZ pans:

I know that niever-stopping gifs can be annoying - one has to scroll them out of sight Stuck out tongue winking eye

SheilaFE said:
    I didn't  see Klive back on the nest, nor any sight of Asha.

Me neither.

Thank you, Sheila Heartpulse

IMAGICAT

09 July

05:04 Klive arrived and preened on the nest perch until 08:04 - no-one else seen.

IMAGICAT