LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

SheilaFE said:
    13.15 I have been hearing nibbles, or taps on the mike, but nothing is visible around the cam.  It's been going on for a while,  and continues.

I've put 13:13-13:18 into sound editor but, despite many adjustments, can find no trace of anything besides wind.  Must you have had a "burst-thru" from another website? Confounded

IMAGICAT

06 August

Little snatches memorialising Klive's visits - Jay's intrusion included, I treated that sound but forgot all about "looking" for the crows.  No-one seen for the rest of the day.

Dang, I would decided to go into typo mode when the site is in slomo.

IMAGICAT

07 August

Today's Klive - extremely uncomprehensive but showing him sitting down in the nestcup more than urusual and perching on a "stump trunk" ??? that I've never seen an Osprey on before... nor no-one else!  However, you all know about my powers of observation - the only reason I haven't maimed or killed anyone on the road is that I don't drive a car Laughing

This is the "stump-trunk" (no idea how tall it is):

IMAGICAT

• That's super. Scylla!! Thank you.  Lovely to see the Jay.  Well, I have no idea what I heard!

There was a lovely light this morning, as the sun first appeared over the hills

and then rose enough to cast long shadows of the trees

09.20 Klive landed

It's windy

10.02 Klive took flight

10.14 Klive returned with a stumpy stick

by 10.30 he was sitting in the cup, keeping out of the wind.

10.51 braced and balancing against the wind

11.05 he flies off again

12.42 Klive returned, spent a lot of time just looking around

12.45  He is off again

13.04 and returned with a long thick stick, puts it down without care.

13.09 he nestorises and nest cups, then just sits for a minute or two.

13.15 he checks sticks on the rim, then back to the cup, where he stands and stares before returning to the rim.

13.19 it must be too windy, he returns to the cup to get comfy, out of the wind and watches across the tree tops to the right.  He stayed there for the nest half an hour when he stands, checks around him.  There appears to be rain in the air.

13.57 he moved a largish stick on the front of the nest, not the thick fresh looking one but one behind it.  Then he stands, staring.  It's still windy with large black skies and small breaks for the sn to shine thru.  Time for a spot of preening.

14.01  Klive flew off

14.15 He returns with a large very awkward stick, battling into the wind as he landed.  He finally puts it on the near rim;  the wind catches it and blows it into the cup.  He returned it to the rim and looed over the back of the nest.

14.23 More preening

14.36 stick blows into the put, which he replaces back on the rim, taking time to rearrange.  Keeping the cup clear!

14.41  Off again

15.53 the cloud level has descended, the distant mountains have disappeared.

17.21 I've been out and find the clouds are back to a high level with big skies of bubbly clouds

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/