LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

Yesterday's chaffies were not easy to snap but this one gave us a split-second close-up... and the WindlfeWindows cam planted an agave on the horizon, made from a detached wing:

Klive this morning, on the nest and on the sawn-off old nest tree:

IMAGICAT

04 August

Only little birdies seen up to 09:50 - here was a Great Tit with ill-defined breast pattern attacking the lens for a couple of seconds - so it's slomo:

Milking it!

EDIT

11:06 - Klive flew in, he was still there when I checked a few minutes ago:

IMAGICAT

Klive's 3+ hour visit, with fish:

I don't think he ate any of the fish while he was here:

IMAGICAT

05 August

Klive was on-cam from quite early but I didn't spy a fish.  Arund 15:20 both cams went glitchy but recovered, I have not been thru any footage since that time.

EDIT - I was very cursory with the early-morning distant dead tree view, he could well have eaten a fish during that time.

IMAGICAT

18:51 Klive was back for 16 minutes:

At about 20:39 both of the cams went down, back up 21:02.  It's been raining quite heavily.

IMAGICAT

06 August

More little birdies had a 10-minute session, this is some of it - I can't ID most:

Snaps that I tagged onto the end for YouTubers:

And one that I didn't:

09:45 - Klive arrived with a small clump and, to my horror (due to unwillingness to commit to all that work), proceeded to pop in 'n out until 11;30 (the last time I checked):

IMAGICAT

• Klive has been a busy boy this morning, as you say, Scylla, arriving at 09.45.  He came and went and came again, pottering, preening, sorting sticks and really showing his ownership of the nest.  

09.45 Klive's first visit

10.13.08 a jay appeared, bottom left and skirted round the back of the nest.  I am not sure whether the intention was to land or not, but Klive was rearranging sticks on that side of the nest, too close for comfort, and off the jay went.

10.23 he flew off for the first time after a lot of fiddling which I feel resulted in not much.  It's a beautiful day, but windy, and one or two of the larger sticks are wobbling in the gusts.  I wonder what will be left next spring.

10.26 he returned with the first of his sticks.  He stood in the cup picking up and stopping twigs at random, going round in circles, keeping an eye on life off the nest as he did so.

10.29 off to the trees across the bog, top right, and back at 10.33 with a short stick.

10.34 while in the cup, he lowered himself, keeping a keen eye on something off the nest, watching warily.  Whatever it was soon proved to of no concern.  He got up and returned to twig duty and preened, keeping an eye about him.

10.38 he was off again, this time to the right.

10.41  A crow or two, I think could be heart just as Klive returned with a thicker stick.  Oh!  the crows are hear, not LG!

10.46 King of all he surveys, looking very fit and ready for migration.

10.51  Off he goes again. and returns at 10.57, but I'm not sure what he was carrying.

Twenty minutes of preening, then he turns and looks out to our right.

11.13 back to tidying up the nest.  The sun is still shining, unlike down south where I've had low cloud, heavy showers and generally miserable.

11.16  he takes off, there is a loud clonk and zoom reveals (as if I hadn't already guessed) Kilve on the cam perch.   Two chaffies cheep from the nest perch, then fly.  Klive preens from the upper perch.  If you zoom in you may see the chaffie on the nest perch.

11.31 Klive flies to the left, chaffies are heard cheeping, but not seen. 

13.15 I have been hearing nibbles, or taps on the mike, but nothing is visible around the cam.  It's been going on for a while,  and continues.

14.33  No further sign of Klive.  The tapping sound continues.  It's baffling me.  An insect?  A twig moving in the wind?  Any ideas!!

14.26.39  a big clonk, and the sound stops.  Was it a beetle that flown off?

14.34  The wind sound similar to a jet zooming thru the glens!

All quiet

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hi Sheila, I tried to find and listen to the noise, but can't hear it? Very noisy wind!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thank you for taking the time to listen, Catlady.  A mystery!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/