LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Me too. I hope  he's  really bold and sees KL5 completely off. I'd like to see Asha and Pale Male bond this year.

Just a quickie - Klive had a bundle of grasses underfoot, kinda tripped himself with them:

Someone was distantly eating a fish.

SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Sunday 30 June 2024

09.13     Klive landed on the nest with a clod of nesting material.  First sighting of anyone so far.  Staff are in early, and zoom in on PTZ.  Klive looks around, possibly waiting for Asha to arrive.

09.19     Klive flew to Odin's perch, taking his 'clod' with him.  I had another check, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fish he was holding.

09.52     Klive flies back to the nest, with his 'clod', and lands on the nest perch

11.10     Klive looks intently at something flying overhead, and flies off.

Cam checks a likely perch, and settles on the old nest site and the bare topped tree beyond, until

13.07     when the cam had another check of perches. 

13.10     With difficulties in focusing they stops on two dead trees, and on the right hand one is an osprey eating a fish.  Asha, Klive, Brodie or ANOther??  It is at a real distance and the cam is shaking, so ID is impossible.

15.17     The cam zooms and out, repeatedly.  It shows the dead tree at the far edge of the bog.  It really is a long way off.  It might also be looking to see if anyone else is around, hidden in the trees?

15.18     And back to the dead tree (this is not by the PTZ).  The osprey has paused the eating.  I think it's female.  There seems to be a dark chest ring.  Asha??  Cleaning the beak now, no its pulling at the fish.  At the tail end?

15.48     I spotted the white band on the top of her head.  I think it's Asha, but won't swear on it!

16.01     Cam pulls back, and in again, possibly to steady the wobble.

16.05     I'm pretty sure it's Asha…. but..!

16.30     Cleaning her beak?  It isn't the near dead tree she is on.  It looks as though there is a branch trunk beyond that, or a fallen tree.

16.42     She flies from the tree/fallen tree

16.43     She has landed on the top of the old nest frame, and yes, it is Asha.  Speckled front, white patch on the top of her head, and unringed.  I can't see her 'petticoat' at the moment.

17.13     PTZ cam moved to the nest.  Home time.

18.29     She is still on the old nest frame

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

For the YT record - both Klive and Asha seen today:

Klive landed at 21:47:

He flew out to our right at 22:22 minus 3 seconds, after a poop:

IMAGICAT

01 July

Both in almost together this morning - one-and-one-eighth failed matings for CANUCK Laughing

SYAL

IMAGICAT

• Thank you Scylla. Good to see Asha is still around. Looking thru 2022 i was surprised Klive was around then. He has clearly not matured enough to make a successful breeding male. He is inconsistent and not bonding properly  with Asha. She deserves so much better.

I've  not been around today and won't  be tomorrow  either. Sorry.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

Three of them, with matching raindrops:

Klive spent nearly 4 hours on the perch (mostly) from 12:12 onwards - a quick glimpse of a Chaffie near the end:

SYAL Blush

IMAGICAT

• SheilaFE said:

Thank you Scylla. Good to see Asha is still around. Looking thru 2022 i was surprised Klive was around then. He has clearly not matured enough to make a successful breeding male. He is inconsistent and not bonding properly  with Asha. She deserves so much better.

I've  not been around today and won't  be tomorrow  either. Sorry.

Didn't see you because I had the RF open for hours! 

I agree re Klive falling so far short and am flabbergasted that he hasn't matured - look at 022 at Poole!

I hope that nice things are keeping you away from the Osps Hugging

IMAGICAT

02 July

04:11 - "Someone" flew to Odin's perch - it turned out to be Klive with fish, which he evenually ate on the dead treetip which we can just see on the left edge of our view and I made a big fuss about not being included at the start of the season.  Well I think that's where he was but my eyes are pretty bad these days.

He visited the nest again and waited a while, then flew off at 09:54.

IMAGICAT