LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

SheilaFE said:
    10.19     Klive/KL5 arrives with a chirrup

A shortie for the YT record:

I am doing the afternoon visits but need to break off.

IMAGICAT

The male and female who visited in the afternoon didn't look like a bonded couple - but you never know :-/

IMAGICAT

• I have just checked the cam whilst watching a bit of Dua Lipa?? sp??  some very well known pop lady apparently, and found reports of this pair on the nest.  Thank you Scylla. From your vid I didn't think they looked as though they were a 'couple' but possibly two roaming osprey.  Neither was Asha, or Brodie, or clearly Klive.  Interesting to see the female check out the nest.  The male? had a hollow crop. The female had a darkish chest.  The male hovered over the female, but got the vibes not to come down!!  If Asha doesn't return soon she may well lose the nest.

No sign of her on the totem pole or the nest perch this evening so far.  What an odd year, yet again for this distinguished nest.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

29 June

07:52 - Klive flew onto the nest perch and the last time I checked - a few minutes ago - he was still there!

It's been a torrid tech morning so I'm off for a rest, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• 29 June 2024

01.15     There is still light in the NE sky – is it from the set sun or the sun rising.  The moon was rising in the ESE

05.53     The sun peeks thru a break in the dark cloud, now just to the right of the nest perch, PTZ cam.

07.34     Rain in the air and the wind gets up

07:52     Klive lands on nest perch and remains there until

09:57     when Klive flies off

10.13     Cam panning

10:26     More searching but returned to the nest.

10.46     Cam finds an unringed male on the dead tree near the PTZ.  He is quite pale.

11.06     Unringed male flies to the nest and stands in the 'cup' area.

11.26     Unringed male leaves the nest

11.33 He disappears in the skyline, and the cam keeps looking

11.35  Cam looks around the regular perches, but finds no one.

11.37 It returns to focus on the nest.  ENS

• 29 June 2024

01.15     There is still light in the NE sky – is it from the set sun or the sun rising.  The moon was rising in the ESE

05.53     The sun peeks thru a break in the dark cloud, now just to the right of the nest perch, PTZ cam.

07.34     Rain in the air and the wind gets up

07:52     Klive lands on nest perch and remains there until

09:57     when Klive flies off

10.13     Cam panning

10:26     More searching but returned to the nest.

10.46     Cam finds an unringed male on the dead tree near the PTZ.  He is quite pale.

11.06     Unringed male flies to the nest and stands in the 'cup' area.

11.26     Unringed male leaves the nest

11.33 He disappears in the skyline, and the cam keeps looking

11.35  Cam looks around the regular perches, but finds no one.

11.37 It returns to focus on the nest.  ENS

• 13.31 cam moved to the boggy area it was on a couple of days ago, with the lovely cotton grass in bloom.

13.44 bouncing a trifle in the wind the cam drops a wee bit and took in the dead tree to the right.

13.45 cam checked perch

another perch on the dead tree near the PTZ - I wonder how long this tree will last.  It's looking quite fragile

a third perch, the flat topped tree behind the current nest

the old nest site

13.46 and there they find KLIVE on Odin's perch

13.52 Klive flew off.  Cam looked but settled back on the old nest

The cam checked out the nest and for a while stayed showing what I think are possible perches below the nest.

The cam returned to the empty nest.  14.54

Terrific delays here - I gave my friend a Freeview PVR, he's been trying to set it up and my phone and my ear have been on fire !!!

SheilaFE said:

IMAGICAT

• I rather like the look of our pale male.  I wonder whether we will  see  him  again. 

30 June

SheilaFE said:
    I rather like the look of our pale male. 

Me too :)))

04:45 - Probably Klive, he stayed 13 minutes .

IMAGICAT