LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

I didn't see Brodie either, CANUCK, but did see a male that I couldn't ID.

This is not comphrehensive and I've had to collapse into snaps instead of video clips, I thought both I and my laptop were going to melt!

IMAGICAT

27 June

05:38-- Klive landed with partially-eaten fish.  Except for a quick off-an-back-on, he stayed till 05:54, just standing on his fish.

08:01 - he (I think) was back, just stood there till 08:40:

That's all up to nearly noon, and the camperson has left the PTZ on this view:

IMAGICAT

• thought both I and my laptop were going to melt!

My laptop getting so very hot that I have to shut it down several times a day now!! Disappointed relieved

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I can't add anything to Scylla's comments.  There appears to have been no sighting of anyone.  So we haven't seen Asha or Brodie today, nor any other intruder.  But here is a time line

Thursday 27 June 2024

05:39     KL5 flew in with a headless fish, looked around and made a few short contact calls.

05.54     Klive flew off

06:36     Klive flew off.  I can't see him on either cam.

06.37     Still there           

07.37     Remains there

08.01     KL5 on the nest

08.40     KL5 flies off towards the south.

12.53     No sightings.

I'm sure I saw a comment from Canuk on chat y'day suggesting they have been logged out, and sending apologies while she/he waits to return.  When I went back to make a note of exactly what was said it had gone.

I saw no attempted mating from Blue 047 yday which was slightly odd, given how content they were in each other's company.

I picked this up from YouTube Chat y'day, so in the public domain:  Blue 047 hatched in 2021 and was ringed in Moray.  So Blue 047(21) - but no official ID of sex.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Could be a bear  or a poodle -  if poodle where is the pack leader ? So, it must be  a bear

So sorry to hear  about your laptop Scylla. I had to shut everything off  , open ALL my windows and  shut all curtains and blinds, elevate my legs and have  cold water  constantly to hand. I have no idea  how you coped in all that brick and concrete .Thank you for all your efforts here,

• 11,21 the cam panned around a few regular perches, but found nothing and 11.23 settled on the boggy view mentioned above.   It remained there until 14.41 when it had another check of perches, and again found nothing.  14.41 it settled on the nest.  A quick along the timeline and back, and forward again brought up no positive sighting of anyone at all.  It is dry, but is very windy, so I guess fishing isn't easy.  Once more I am left with the question, where are they all!!

19:08 - Asha flew in to the perch, stayed only 4 minutes at a pinch!!

I didn't use the nest cam because it blotched Asha's lovely face:

IMAGICAT

Klive book-ended the day!

IMAGICAT

28 June

No-one yet seen - it's a wet morning but looks rich Hugging

IMAGICAT

• All very quiet again today.  No sign of Asha or Brodie but..

28 June 2024

10.19     Klive/KL5 arrives with a chirrup on the far rim of a wet nest.  It was raining earlier, shown by blobs on the screen, but it appears to have stopped and the clouds have risen a bit.  It's very windy. ...

10.24     He drops to the middle of the nest, and sways on one leg as the wind buffers him.

10:46     Klive remains standing in the nest, has a poop and flies away

15.00     No further sightings, although the cam has roamed a bit.