LOCH OF THE LOWES - May 2024

Continued from April 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three beautiful eggs were laid from mid-April, with the final one arriving almost 10 hours later than NC0’s usual 72 hour 'cycle'.

Both Laddie and NC0 have had to defend the nest from many 'passing through' intruders. Could Laddie’s defence of the reserve be the reason why there has been no sighting of him on the webcam since early lunchtime on the 28th? There were a few occasions where there was a high likelihood that he may have been in NC0’s sight since then though, her loud fish calls alerted us to that probable fact.

With NC0’s last meal being delivered on the 27th, we can only hope that Laddie arrives home not only fit and well, but also with a well-deserved fish for such an amazing female Osprey – her endeavours to keep the eggs protected, warm and dry during his absence, have been truly remarkable!

As I write, it has been just over 60 hours without Laddie at the nest and we now wait, in anticipation, for a positive start to this new month...

*UPDATED 4.5.23: Heartbroken to report, that there was very sadly no positive news forthcoming regarding our dear Laddie...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)  Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24  Broken heart

Eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)   

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

2.5.24: LotL Facebook >>> Situation with regards to Laddie's absence

3.5.24: LotL Facebook >>> Update from the nest

3.5.24: LotL Blog (updated at 9pm on 4.5.24) >>> Loch of the Lowes osprey nest update

4.5.24: LotL Facebook >>> It is with a very heavy heart...

7.5.24: SWT/LotL News >>> Osprey LM12 found dead

7.5.24: LotL Blog >>> The start of a new osprey era at Lowes?

10.5.24: LotL Blog >>> Intruding Ospreys Make a Move

13.5.24: LotL Facebook >>> A lot has been happening...

15.5.24: STV News Report - North East and Tayside >>> Police say no criminality after death of YouTube star osprey 'Laddie'  *Nothing 'official' from SWT/Lowes

• Sandra and everyone, what dreadful news, we go on this rollercoaster every year. If there is foul play, I hope they are found. Poor NCO has a further ordeal to face

It's just devastating...

Good to see you, Cathy

• 8:18 NC0 was calling again

She was quiet at 8:27

8:30 Preening

Preening her tummy area, 8:37, before going on a comfort break

Her feathers look quite damp so I assume the nest cup is too. I haven't seen her bring in any fresh, soft nesting material to the nest at all recently

She didn't return until 8:50. She could be seen flying close to the left side of the nest, and behind the trees, to make her approach

NC0 peaceful and quite at present, 9:04

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• I informed Ruth Tingay last night and she put out a blog post within 15 minutes. She has many contacts with the authorities and she will stay on top of this and update as and when.

SheilaFE said:

You have been such a stalwart  supporter of LotL, Sandra. I feel for you.  Thank you so much for keeping going and maintaining the records. Raptor Persecution UK are now on the case, and I'm  sure they won't  leave a stone unturned.

I've followed her at Raptor Persecution UK and Wild Justice for years, but never thought I’d see Ospreys on her list of murdered birds. A very sad event. RIP Laddie.

• Thank you for doing that, Geemeff.

• 9:59 There was a flight over the Loch, heading towards the birch, it flew around the corner

NC0 was calling when it went out of view

NC0 became more vocal as the intruder came into view on the left

It appeared to be making its way above the cam

NC0 remained vocal

NC0 still shouting at 10:26

And at present, 10:31 (though unsure as to where the intruder is

©SWT/LotL

• Morning Sandra, Karen, Cathy, Sheila, Geemeff and All

Thank you for the updates and today is the first day that now hope for one of these intruders to become a suitor for our lovely lady! The sooner the better..... still wonder why we have chosen osprey watching as a 'relaxing' hobby but can't give it up now.... addicted to them lol! 

• Morning LAM,

The regular visitor needs to bring NC0 a fish, that would be a start 

I agree, it is an addiction, and I for one, wouldn't give it up either! 

However devastating it is to lose Laddie, it's a relief to know that he was found. At least we have closure now and we do not have to fret about where he is. His spirit will forever remain at Lowes... Dove  

• 10:43 NC0 went off for a comfort break. She had been quiet for quite a while

As of now, 10:52, she has not returned

©SWT/LotL

• Possibly NC0 on the birch at 10:55

©SWT/LotL

• 11:13 NC0 left the birch and flew past the left side of the nest

Eggs still alone at 11:17

Edit: She is very close to the nest, if not on the cam post, as I heard a ruffle of feathers at 11:18

©SWT/LotL