LLYN BRENIG - MAY 2024

Continued from March/April 2024

LINK to Opening Page with background and history of this nest and relevant links

This season so far

31 March Blue LJ2 returns

1 April Blue 372 briefly visits, 6 April Blue 372 returns and stays

Sadly, Blue LM6 has not returned

Eggs laid

#1 April 23 - 17.40, #2 April 26 - 19.28, #3 April 29 - 15.46

All captures and videos ©️NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

April saw Blue LJ2 (18) pair with a new female, Blue 372 (21), with his first mate, Blue LM6 (18) sadly not returning this year. They raised 2 chicks in 2022 and 2023 and had formed a good partnership.

As a 3 year old, this is Blue 372’s first year of breeding. She was translocated to Poole Harbour in 2021 from a Scottish nest. She returned in 2023 and teamed up with Blue 416. They actually intruded at Llyn Brenig then and found themselves a nest elsewhere on private land in Wales. However, this year, Blue 372 chose the Llyn Brenig nest and LJ2 as her mate. Blue 416 did intrude here and try to take Blue 372 back. She stuck to her choice though and Blue LJ2 courted her and they became a couple. A lot of new experiences for Blue 372 this year but she is handling everything well and still doing her own thing ie catching fish if need be!

• May 10

Good morning. Scylla, thank you so much for capturing all the trauma of last night on video. My photos only tell some of the story but to hear the audio and capture the background flying and chasing shows just how dramatic the whole episode was. A baptism of fire for 372 on her first year of breeding. She battled hard and you can see at the end when she finally returned to the nest, how much it  had affected her, CryTwo hearts

The still at the beginning of your video was a good choice, you are of course welcome to use any of my captures at any time. Always. Hugging

• scylla said:

LJ2 has just popped onto the nest and 372 has got up - will they sqap?  Looks like LJ2 is taking over...kinda slow, I can't hang about Smirk

You were right Scylla, they did swap which was 2 hours earlier than their normal swap time. I’d like to think LJ2 was being supportive to 372, seeing how anxious she was.

372 had a break of an hour before she returned to the nest.

• This is how the night and early morning went for 372 and LJ2

00.27 372 moved the fish further from the nest cup to the edge.

02.06 She did seem to get some sleep in the early hours, her head was fully down.

03.02 LJ2 flew up from the nest perch to the nest.

He took over incubation.

04.00 372 returned 

04.02 and they swapped over.

05.13 372 reached over to grab the fish

05.14 she got up and ate a few pieces 

05.19 then went back to her eggs.

05.19 LJ2 made a short trip to the tower perch. He was doing the moving side to side thing with his head.

05.20 Ah, he must’ve been checking to see if there was any fish left on the nest as he then flew down and took it.

06.34 372 rolling the eggs

07.16 With some quiet contact chirps she flew off the nest.

07.17 LJ2 flew straight over 

and took over incubation.

08.28 It’s going to be another hot day, he’s already cooling himself with his beak open. 

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• You’re welcome Sandra, although I just couldn’t keep up with tonight’s events!!

Know that only too well, Glider! Remember PF4 & PF5 and the battle to take control of the Lowes nest last season? That was non-stop too!

You did so well to keep up with the continuous action! Thank you again Hugging

Super video, Scylla! Kissing heart

• Good to see things have calmed down since yesterday evening, hopefully 432 has moved on....

Short capture of 372 doing a spot of fishing in the background while LJ2 watches on from the nest, she landed on the PTZ perch shortly after looking thoroughly soaked and fishless.

• 372 had flown to the tower perch at 07.40.

08.29 She did a lot of preening 

then left at 08.47.

09.11 LJ2 left the nest with a single quiet contact chirp.

A few seconds later, 372 flew onto the nest. It looks like she’s taken a dip after leaving the tower perch.

09.12 Her undercarriage is very wet.

LJ2 arrived at the tower perch at 09.15

09.48 He’s still there preening. The little soft white feathers are flying!

09.50 372 currently on the nest.

This is the peaceful day we wanted. Long may it continue. Hugging

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• Sandra said:
    You’re welcome Sandra, although I just couldn’t keep up with tonight’s events!!

Know that only too well, Glider! Remember PF4 & PF5 and the battle to take control of the Lowes nest last season? That was non-stop too!

You did so well to keep up with the continuous action! Thank you again Hugging

Super video, Scylla! Kissing heart

Hi Sandra, I absolutely remember that immense struggle with your 2 last year, you’re right, this so was much like it. Flushed

Like I said to Scylla, I received a phone call in the middle of it and I ended up way behind the real time. There was so much to record! I never thought for a second it would last so long.

Thanks anyway Kissing heart

• Hawk Willow said:

Good to see things have calmed down since yesterday evening, hopefully 432 has moved on....

Short capture of 372 doing a spot of fishing in the background while LJ2 watches on from the nest, she landed on the PTZ perch shortly after looking thoroughly soaked and fishless.

community.rspb.org.uk/.../372_5F00_fishing_5F00_10052024.mp4

Hi Hawk Willow, you certainly live up to your name - eyes like a hawk!

That’s brilliant that you spotted the background events with 372 trying her luck at fishing. Thank you so much for recording and posting it. I saw she was wet when returning to the nest and thought she’d just had a dip in the water. Well she certainly did! Smile

Hopefully, she’ll get a fish at some point today either by herself or LJ2 as she missed out yesterday thanks to our “friend” from the north Blue 432!  

• 10.11 372 started quietly calling.

10.11 LJ2 flew over the water carrying something

He arrived with a piece of bark, 372 and I were hoping it was a fish. 

They changed over.  Eggs #1 bottom left, #2 bottom right #3 top

10.57 372 flies in with a nugget of earth in her talons.

She starts some nest fixing straight away. It did get a bit battered last night.

11.03 Even once sat down, she was still fiddling with bits.

11.24 LJ2 was getting hassled by as gull as he flew low over the water to the tower perch.

11.35 He had come for a preen.

11.35 372 sees LJ2 and starts calling to him.

11.36 LJ2 comes to the nest and they swap over.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• 12.43 After just over an hour on the eggs, LJ2 looked up as 372 announced her arrival.

372 is hungry. They swap over. I hope LJ2 goes fishing.

13.33 A tired and hot 372 on the nest currently.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP