LLYN BRENIG - MAY 2024

Continued from March/April 2024

LINK to Opening Page with background and history of this nest and relevant links

This season so far

31 March Blue LJ2 returns

1 April Blue 372 briefly visits, 6 April Blue 372 returns and stays

Sadly, Blue LM6 has not returned

Eggs laid

#1 April 23 - 17.40, #2 April 26 - 19.28, #3 April 29 - 15.46

All captures and videos ©️NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

April saw Blue LJ2 (18) pair with a new female, Blue 372 (21), with his first mate, Blue LM6 (18) sadly not returning this year. They raised 2 chicks in 2022 and 2023 and had formed a good partnership.

As a 3 year old, this is Blue 372’s first year of breeding. She was translocated to Poole Harbour in 2021 from a Scottish nest. She returned in 2023 and teamed up with Blue 416. They actually intruded at Llyn Brenig then and found themselves a nest elsewhere on private land in Wales. However, this year, Blue 372 chose the Llyn Brenig nest and LJ2 as her mate. Blue 416 did intrude here and try to take Blue 372 back. She stuck to her choice though and Blue LJ2 courted her and they became a couple. A lot of new experiences for Blue 372 this year but she is handling everything well and still doing her own thing ie catching fish if need be!

• 19.18 I guess Blue 432 is trying to oust 372. She’s very determined.

20.26 372 standing ready

And attacked again.

This is the last I’ve seen of the 2 female birds. They must be exhausted.

Edit I’ve found them again

20.48 372 still defending her nest. More repeated dive bombing by Blue 432

then she leaves

followed by Blue 432

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• WendyBartter said:

No peace for the Ospreys this year ... maybe more nests are needed to cope with breeding/return successes?  Just like the Peregrines, lots more fights over established nest sites!

Could be Wendy. I don’t know how many nest sites there are in this area. 

• Both 372 and LJ2 back on the nest at 10.36. LJ2 started incubating again at 10.00. Eggs were unattended for over 3 hours: good that it was a warm dry day. 

• Thank you so much AG. My chronological order is out of sinc as I’ve posted photos of LJ2’s return on the previous page.
    I didn’t know 372 was back as well, thank goodness. Two hearts My heart was in my mouth watching all of that.

Fingers crossed for the eggs being okay and that Blue 432 has moved on. She’d be an ideal mate for Blue 416 if he’s still around at the nest on private land. 

• 10.35 372 flew up from the nest perch. She and LJ2 exchanged contact chirps.

LJ2 got up and backed off the eggs then flew away.

22.36 372 started chipping. LJ2 flew overhead.

22.38 372 tentatively made her way down to the eggs.

22.39 LJ2 started chipping and flew downwards with speed off the nest perch.

22.41 372 nibbled at the fish.

LJ2 returned and sat on the nest edge.

23.43 372 couldn’t settle and walked to the edge of the nest.
    LJ2 sat quietly, giving her support.

22.44 A minute later, she came back to the eggs.

22.45 372 finally sat on the eggs. 

23.03 LJ2 waited a little longer to make sure 372 was comfortable, then he flew to the nest perch.

NWWT, WW, BOP

I hope they have a peaceful night and day tomorrow. Two hearts

• Midnight. She looks like she’s sleeping. She’ll need it. 

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• Many thanks for the updates Glider and AG.Thumbsup

• You’re welcome Sandra, although I just couldn’t keep up with tonight’s events!! Smile

The intrusion from beginning to end, then the gradual settling down for the night.  (I used one of your 432 snaps, GLIDER, thank you in retrospect.)

IMAGICAT

LJ2 has just popped onto the nest and 372 has got up - will they sqap?  Looks like LJ2 is taking over...kinda slow, I can't hang about Smirk

IMAGICAT