Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY MAY!

I hope everyone has a good week.

Folks in my area are excited because the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds are arriving back from migration. Everyone is cleaning their feeders and preparing the birds' food. They are revered here.

My neighbor saw the old patriarch White-Tailed Deer buck in the woods. He said the old fella was turning grey. I hadn't seen him for awhile. I think the noisy music and motorcycles at the Pub bother him, so he's staying deeper in the forest.

Love and hugs to you all!

• Thank you for the encouraging words ! I am definitely too impatient. The family are great and helping with chores that I can't manage yet. 

• AQ - I took a bag to the charity shop yesterday. Maybe it is the time of year (well here at least) when one feels the need to declutter. 
    What a lovely day it has been today. 22 degrees apparently. I went birding with the ladies in the sand dunes at Talacre. It was lovely. We saw and/or heard lots of warblers. All morning the skylarks were singing joyously. We finished with lunch outside sitting at picnic benches purchased at the local bakery there. 

• Rusty - sounds like a lovely day out.  I did well yesterday, when it was our turn for the decent weather.  A friend and I went to Rye and parked where we had parked once before.  But instead of turning left on the footpath (which we had done last time) I spied a bridge off to the right.  From there we walked a very long way, then cut off the main path into a rapeseed field and walked a long way around that.  Beautiful yellow flowers, beautiful cloudless blue sky, my first time this year in short sleeves - it was really warm.  We walked just over seven miles and only saw one other person!  We couldn't find a way out of the rapeseed field - and had to several detours to get around drainage ditches, so we ended up having to retrace our steps.  We were more than ready for our lunch when we got back to the car!  A fabulous day out.  Then a three-hour lightning show overnight, with a lot of thunder and torrential rain.  I've never seen a storm like that in England, although I have experienced similar storms overseas.  Today is miserable, but mild.  English weather ... !!

Diane:  The lady who supplies our nature notes for the church magazine has been away visiting family in New Jersey.  This week's notes include not only a mention, but also a picture, of a red tailed hawk, which she managed to photograph as it was sitting in a tree eating prey.  Made me think of you!

• Its been a glorious spring day, here. I went to vote, (local elections) and found in our area, it was only for a new Police commissioner. Ho hum. At least I did my duty. Walked around our town and  things certainly seemed a bit more buzzing than of late. 

My OH came home tired, as for the 1st time for a long time, he'd managed to play 18 holes of golf. It's been way too wet all winter for more than 8 or 10 holes. Tomorrow is a long day out with another 18 holes, so I think he'll be mighty tired!! 

Rusty, I love to hear the skylarks: one of the best sounds in the world.

• Cloudier, & grey skies today: yesterday was a nice bit of light relief. 

I've been for a blood test as I'm on new blood pressure meds so they want to know if I'm having any bad reactions. Laughed as the nurse was a very chatty girl, so I hoped she was concentrating on what she was doing! Saw an interesting stand off in the car park at the clinic - two Ravens against a noisy Magpie - not sure what the dispute was, maybe a nest somewhere & the greedy Magpie fancied a snack!

My OH has gone off for his long day of golf. I'm going to enjoy just pottering around the house whilst it's quiet - not that he's a noisy person! 

• Have tried in vain to add a description to my pic, above- first it tried to repeat my last post underneath, then it deleted what I'd put! 

Its our rhodedendron which is at its best now, and covered in busy buzzing bees!

Hope that Heather's arm will slowly come back to normal- these things take longer the older we get, unfortunately.

• Lindy - your rhododendron is gorgeous. Also, re voting. I always feel I should exercise my democratic rights which were hard fought for. Here in Wales we only had an election for Police and Crime Commissioner. I was somewhat disgruntled because not one candidate (there were 4) sent out a leaflet explaining their manifesto. I looked them up online and duly went to vote! 
    Well, we had spring yesterday!!! It is cold again today! 

• Thought I had better bump us up!

You know when one job leads to another? I am cleaning today and Monday because I don’t go far on a Bank Holiday so that’s what I do! Well, I was happily hoovering when I decided I needed to change the filters (I have rechargeable cordless hoovers - a regular one and a smaller one I can use for nooks and crannies and cleaning the car) So the filters came out and dust went all over the kitchen floor and me!!! Are you getting the gist? Well, all is cleaned up now and the hoovers are working really well. I tell myself I should change the filters more often!! Having a cup of tea to recover before I tackle the next job. Can’t get too tired as I am golfing tomorrow!!! 

• Hello Rusty, been there with the vacuum cleaner situation! Well done on getting all cleaned up. You deserve that cup of tea.

My OH had a fall down some steps last Monday. Long story concerning some mangoes he was carrying! I will not relate the horrors of A&E.

He broke his hip and has now had surgery.

Best wishes to all.