Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday night in the UK and US.

I hope everyone has a good week. 

LINDY, I know what you mean about the changeable weather. It was 80 degrees here this past week, but today everyone with a garden was scurrying to cover the plants because we have a hard frost coming tonight.

It's a shame because we are in the middle of our wild mushroom season, and people have been foraging everywhere. The wild morels are selling for $30 to $75 per pound, depending on the size and quality!

Love and hugs to all!

• AQ:  I too am addicted to my regular reading fixes.  Am re-reading one of  Patricia Highsmith's 'Ripley' books while I wait my turn for some library books I've reserved. 

Diane/bjane:  Looks like you guys could be in for some severe weather this weekend.  Saw footage of some pretty dramatic tornadoes in Oklahoma today...

• Big Sister was so upset that she had wronged my age that she sent another card with the correct “number”. That arrived yesterday, then today, a big bunch of flowers as well. Dark purple single flowers – Lisianthus or Prairie gentian – which I have never seen before.

• AQ - nice of your sister and lovely for you to have some nice flowers.

I see all the comments about reading. I too love getting lost in a book or, even better, a continuing series. I haven’t got a series on the go at the moment but have plenty to read none the less. 
    I was very pleased that the 6 slow release antibiotic tablets I was given for the cystitis did the trick. Phew!!! Consequently, I bravely set off yesterday on the U3A Away Day I had booked. I knew the journeys would be no more that 2 hours so I thought I would be OK. I was!!

First stop was Knighton in the Welsh Borders to visit the Offa’s Dyke Centre. It was ordered to be constructed by King Offa (AD757 - 796) and runs the length of the England Wales border - about 177 miles. All very interesting about the construction and now conservation efforts. People do regularly walk the length of it.

From there we went to Powis Castle - a National Trust Property but still lived in by the owners. We did go round the house but I enjoyed the gardens much more.

• Oh, that last photo came out very big so I am putting the others in a fresh post!!!

• They are lovely pics Rusty and, to me, they look good bigger ... think that RSPB have altered the settings as a result of posters' requests!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Good afternoon.  Wasn’t well yesterday so I don’t think I contributed – managed to get anti-bios before surgery and pharmacy closed, and already feel much better today.

AQ – glad you saw family for your birthday – congratulations on the big number!

RUSTY – I don’t think the Offa’s Dyke visitor centre was there when I once visited Knighton – but I seem to remember it is a very pleasant area.  I do remember Powis Castle from a different visit – we were there when the Laburnum Walk was in full bloom – many photos from that day!

Weather continues quite pleasant here – but not quite so bright as it has been.  Local newspaper carries a warning of wild fires in the next few days – after all that rain? she asks!  E-E printed the ch mags last evening, and I have sent out the email copies this afternoon while he was sowing seeds in the garden.  On Thursday evening the three of us went to a history talk on Mediaeval Pilgrimages – quite interesting, although I could have done the Chaucer bit myself!