Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a good week!

I received my eclipse glasses yesterday, and I'm all set for the big day on Monday. I will have 100% totality. However, this is our rainy season, so I'm hoping we will catch a break and have clear skies for the eclipse.

Many websites will be streaming the eclipse if anyone wants to watch it.

I'm approaching this event with a reverential attitude. I'm hoping to use it as a reset and turn my life in a more positive direction.

Love and hugs to all!

• Lindy - Love your 'lily' - but is it an amaryllis?  I have one which I was persuaded to keep and 'try again' from last year.  It's been very odd.  I was advised to keep it in the bathroom because it likes the damp atmosphere, and water it sparingly throughout the dormant phase.  It grew one leaf and one flower shoot at the start of the year so I moved it to the kitchen windowsill, which gets any morning sun and is bright all day.  The leaf didn't mature, but the flower stem did - to a height of 30 inches!!!  But no leaves.  The flower stem had four flowers which all came out together a few days before my birthday - a lovely treat.  The flowers lasted about ten days and then died.  Then new leaf shoots came out of the bulb.  I have now removed the redundant (and dead!) flower stem and have five very healthy leaves.  I don't need to try to understand what's going on (just as well!) - just marvel at what nature does to surprise us.  I wonder if there will be another flower stem this year??  And whether the whole plant will survive for a third year???

• Glad you are going to see this one.  Glad you got the eye protection sorted out. 

THe BBC have published a very helpful graphic for the path of the eclipse.  See    path of eclipse 8 April 2024

As always do not look at the sun unless you have eye protection and know what you are doing. Also the partially eclipsed sun is even more dangerous than a non eclipsed sun. 

• We apparently are in a 55% zone; got the 'approved' glasses.    Our local astronomical society is partnering with our Natural History Museum and hosting a star party with telescopes etc. at the local shopping center.  Not sure if we'll go; maybe just hang in the garden at daughter's place.

Thinking Clear Sky thoughts for Diane!

• We ended up sitting on daughter's patio and checking out the sun in between nattering.  Although we were at 50%, there was no really dramatic difference, unlike the tv coverage from Fredericksburg, Texas, where in spite of some overcast, totality came sort of suddenly and was very dramatic....   Wonder how Diane and bjane got on....

• Good Morning. Here's my amaryliss now all 3 of its trumpets are out. Don't know why I called it a 'lily' yesterday- I was a bit distracted. Also, I noticed that I'd put that I'd slept for 3 hours when it was 2 hours! 

Lots happening here: I've just seen my OH off with his sister and cousin on their long journey to the funeral. I'm up and dressed as have been up early because the new furniture was described as being delivered between "7.00am and 9.30m". Last night we went to bed early & had already prepared by folding away the garden chairs we've been using for ages.

My every move this morning is being watched by not only Bonnie, but sis in laws dog Mabel, who is staying with us for 4 days whilst she goes to visit her new baby granddaughter. Mabel is convinced she is going home any minute!!

Very exciting yesterday about the eclipse: we watched online & on the TV and saw that everyone was very emotional. Hope that Diane managed a view of it. It's certainly a stunning event.

• I watched some of the eclipse coverage last night on Sky.  There was a lot of screaming and shouting - mostly from the commentators - but the pictures from Mexico and Texas were pretty spectacular.  There was a bit of scientific explanation ... personally I could have done with a bit more.  I think if I had turned the sound off and just watched the pictures I would have enjoyed it more!  Hopefully Diane and bjane had a good 'live' experience.

• Just thought I would send a photo of my back lawn!!! Mercifully it has stopped raining. I know I am on clay here but this is a bit much!!!! 

How are the people in Scotland getting on? I think it might have been even worse up there. 

I cancelled the Flora and Fauna outing. No one objected strangely enough!  LOL. 

Annette - despite not seeing much of the eclipse, it sounds as if you had a good time with the family. I do hope Diane and bjane had great views. As Lindy says, some of the photos and videos are stunning. 
    Lindy - hope your OH and passengers had a good journey to the funeral. Driving can’t have been much fun. I also hope you are getting on OK with the dogs. I love the colour of your amaryllis. 

• Pat - I do agree about the coverage of the eclipse on TV - some of the presenters sounded like 3 year olds when excited! So noisy! 

Our furniture duly arrived and was assembled quickly- slightly damp as although covered in plastic, it was beginning to drizzle by then. The dogs barked at the intrusion and I had to apologise but the delivery men didn't seem to mind. Such a relief to now be sitting on a proper chair! 

It's cooler today with occasional showers. Don't know when my OH will return from his long day, so I have extracted a dinner for one from the freezer. 

I hope OG is continuing to improve. And everyone in the UK is keeping dry as I see there are once again floods in parts of the country.

• Glad your furniture arrived safe and sound.  Hope it is lovely and comfy.

• Good intentions?  Promises?  and all that ... but I am here now.

Sunday I got back ot church for the first time - found it tiring being in a busy place.  Rest of the day we had "things to do".  Yesterday was final visit to detist - don't need to see her again till 3rd June.  We shopped on the way home (local supermarkets) so I was tired again.  This morning my chair should have been mended - but despatch sent the man with frame for the wrong model - now got to wait until one of them is in the area again in about two weeks - oh, the joys of living over the border!