LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

• Now both male and female on nest looking Eyes skywards.

• Both flew and each had part of a fish.

• No idea if this is how to reply but trying anyway lol

There is an update on the fb page for LG: (I tried pasting the link but it won’t work so trying a screenshot instead).

• 12.17  Brodie, with a fish, landed, followed by Asha, also with a fish!!

12.20 Asha left, with her fish, after a couple of minutes.  Brodie was faux mantling.

12.21  Brodie also flew off with his fish.

12.38  Brodie returned without the fish, but with a shortish stick which he got in a tangle with.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you 25mac for the heads up re LG FB post.  FB is not playing ball thee days.  One used to be able to copy and paste a link for a post, but it's not the case now.

12.37 Brodie (I think) flew in from top right, with a small stick.  It's a bit blowy up there, and his mild attempt of nest cupping was tempered by the wind.  His next one was more productive.

He (she?) left at 12.50.

12.58  Back again.  Nestorising

• Hi all.  I am keeping a log again this year of all fish deliveries to the nest, the time, who brought it and whether partial/whole.  I'd also like to track type of fish but I have no clue how to ID a trout from a whale.  So if you could ID the type of fish in your posts, I'd appreciate it.  

• My fish id is a bit dubious to say the least, but happy to try.

• OK a catch up.  

12.58.46    PTZ   Brodie on the nest, nest cupping.  Asha, I assume on the tree just beyond the nest, on the left branch.  She is still eating her fish.

Just noticed the two cam times are not in synch.  Confusing.

12.57         Brodie returned with a stick.  He is already forming a cup!  Kicking debris high out of the nes 

13.07.13     PTZ Brodie flew to Asha, and attempted mating.  Difficult to tell as Asha is right at the top of the screen.  He flew off.1

3.10         Brodie returned with some lichen, and with it still in his beak then nest cupped.  The lichen fell and eventually was blown off the nest.

13.28        Brodie flew down the back of the nest and swooped to the left.  Asha remains on the, what looks like, dead tree.

13.36        Brodie returned.

13.41        Cam realises Asha is on the tree behind and changes the view, so we can see her on the dead tree, and Brodie on the nest.

14.04         An attempted mating on the branch of the dead tree.  Brodie flew off and returned with some colourful (red) lichen/moss, and nest cupped 

14.39        He flies to Asha for another attempted mating.  Lots of wings and tails, but I have no idea whether it was successful.  And back to the nest

14.54        More mating and off he goes

Back again with more bedding.  That's more positive than last year, when the nest was mainly structural and lacking cushions.

15.02         Off again, and this time for longer

16.09         Brodie returned, and Asha is still on the branch of the dead tree.  She is still eating.

Brodie is keeping a watchful eye about him. 

16.28         A spot of preening and Brodie is away again.

16.47        Asha has a poop, and she flew to the nest.

16.48        She stood ready for Brodie with tail up.  Definitely a successful mating!  And he is away.

Trying to emulate Titanic!

16.49       Asha tries to move one of Brodie's thick sticks but gives up and gives her attention to one or two smaller ones.

16.50        Brodie returned with another twiggy stick, and faux mantles, with his back towards her.

She looks around, he relaxes and lifts off for another successful mating.  Brodie leaves

16.53       All of a sudden she takes off and follows him.

• This is totally the wrong thread, but I thought contributors here should be aware.  From RW today, on FB.  I sincerely hope she recovers.  Like Mrs G, Maya would be a great loss.  Her age is unknown, of course, but she has produced lots of young over the years.  I think she first bred at MB in 2010 and has had four males, albeit Wonky Wing was given short shrift by 33..

Rutland Osprey Project

nepsoStdro1mc2hu68l024c1t2chlg3a142f3g42gi05a4u2mfc703hhmm3a  · 
    Over the last week we have noticed that Maya’s breathing has become laboured. With this in mind our consultant Tim Mackrill has been in touch with two expert and highly experienced avian vets. The consensus is that there are a few conditions that can cause these symptoms, which may have been brought on by the mild and wet spring. Maya’s age combined with the arduous migration and stresses of egg laying may have made her more susceptible. We will continue to monitor the nest and will provide updates where we can. We very much hope that she will show signs of improvement, but it is difficult to predict how things will develop in the absence of a definitive diagnosis.

• Not the sort of news one wants to read, especially as she has laid 3 eggs already this seaon.Confused