MANTON BAY - March 2024

Brief history: The nest was first occupied by White 08(97) and Green 5N(04) in 2007 who raised 2 chicks.  In 2008 they paired again but the nest failed and in 2009 it was unused.   In 2010 a new pair, Green 5R(04) and an unringed female nicknamed Mrs 5R, took up residence and over the next four years raised 11 chicks.   Green 5R(04) failed to return in 2014 and Mrs 5R paired with a new mate, Blue 28(10) and laid 3 eggs.  Blue 33(11) arrived determined to claim this nest and ousted Blue 28(10).  Blue 33(11) kicked out the eggs and spent the remainder of the season bonding with Mrs 5R who was then officially named “Maya”.   Since 2015, Maya and Blue 33(11) have paired up each year and to date have successfully raised 26 chicks. 

Copyright & Link to Webcam: © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Links to previous threads  can be found here 

Maya & Blue 33(11) Arrival Dates  can be found here

Manton Bay Nest Breeding Stats 2007 - Present  can be found here

Here’s wishing Maya and Blue 33(11) a safe journey home and for another successful season.

• Karen W said:

I see they have been working on the pagination!!

Oldest, newest has gone and we have arrows at the foot of page!

I'm testing what happens when I reply to your post, Karen :)))

One improvement I can see right away is that the quote works even tho there is a paragraph within it - that would have failed before the "upgrade".

And we've got page numbers at the bottom, and back arrows:

But only 2 pages back and forth, I'd'a liked more (and I know this is the wrong place to post tech but you started it, Karen, so I'm blaming you! xxx )

EDIT !!!

And having posted I see that the only posts showing are the OP and mine, with no View Mores ner nuthin.  It's a work in progress?

EDIT2 !!!

And when I posted after editing, the edit text didn't show up at all.

EDIT3 !!!

All edits showing now.

IMAGICAT

• Quick check back on the nest and nothing untoward - everything moving along here tickety boo

An earlier capture of Maya as I see some greenery has appeared

and a few moments ago, 33 fiddling about with the nesting material

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Wont be too long before he has some eggs to roll 

• Karen W said:
    I see some greenery has appeared

Blue33 brought in a grassy clod at about 12:20:

It's been virtually disappeared now.

I haven't snapped a single solitary FISH this season !!!  So here is Blue33's latest stick, as if that makes up for it!

IMAGICAT

• All pages are now available Scylla and I have reported to Kylie about the delay in seeing posts, having to rely on the message to save posting twice ... she said if it's same tomorrow then let her know!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 26 March

This is a very rough cut of all the mating attempts from midnight to 06:00/whatever - I keep thinking that 33 is not as efficient as usual, and wonder if he picked up a slight injury on his way home, or what about when he arrived with fish blood on his breast but no fish?  But sometimes he looks perfect.

Blue33 brought in a damp clod, which got buried in the nestcup under soft stuff:

A bit later, Maya dug it up and spread it out to dry:

A Pied Wagtail has been popping on at every opportunity:

IMAGICAT

• I don't know what the heck went wrong up there.  Try again:

scylla said:
    This is a very rough cut of all the mating attempts from midnight to 06:00/whatever - I keep thinking that 33 is not as efficient as usual, and wonder if he picked up a slight injury on his way home, or what about when he arrived with fish blood on his breast but no fish?  But sometimes he looks perfect.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla - yes I've wondered since 33 returned if he was OK as he seemed very tired but it has been windy, plus the drop in temperature with them being back early - must be a shock to the system!!  

I've checked back today and nothing much happening.  One fish midday.

First egg now imminent - could see one tomorrow as it will be 13 days since pairing, if not then Thursday.

• Morning ALL - quick scroll back:

04:19  33 arrives and stays for about 30 minutes.

05:23  33 back on the nest

05:31  Maya joins him

06:10  Maya waits patiently for breakfish

06:12 unsuccessful mating attempt

06:43  33 stands keeping watch

07:26  - present   Maya back on the nest

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• FISH !!! !!! !!!

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla for the stills.

Caught up in the excitement of Laddie returning to Lowes - fantastic news.