Poole Harbour Ospreys 2024

Well, it's now 2024 and hopefully another successful year for the Poole Harbour Ospreys.

The last couple of years have seen the successful establishment of a nest and raising of young.  

Translocated females From the harbour have set up successful nests in Wales also raising young.

Hopefully this year may see the establishment of a second nest in the Harbour area.

Click  Here  for a link to the 2023 thread.

Here was the family last year

I hope Alison Copland won't mind but here is a link to a video she has made of the 2023 season. It is a must watch for followers of Ospreys, especially the Poole harbour family

Click HERE to watch 

Richard B

• More fish deliveries and CJ7 made an appearance.

15.34 CJ7 brings in a fish for 5R0, his 2nd of the day.

The fish breaks free

5R0 chases after it. CJ7 leaves him to it.

Got it.

17.16 Next delivery is from 022 again.

5R1 finally gets his fish.

He takes off as 5H6 arrives.

©️BOPH

• 17.48 5R1 was back on the nest just over half an hour from when he left with the last fish. 

Had he eaten it super quick? (it was headless) Or had he dropped it or part of it?

Whatever, he was in luck as 022 arrived with another fish, a whole one this time.

The fish got loose in the exchange.

5R1 practically lay on it to contain it!

18.27 All under control now.

And off he goes.

©️BOPH

• 25 August

It seems that this was the last sighting of 5R1, Chick 3, (above) aged 87 days.

The other 3 juvies and mum and dad were still around today. 

Fish deliveries -

12.26 022 to 5H6

14.45 022 to 5R0

14.55 CJ7 to 5R2 but he doesn’t actually get the fish, a flounder.

It sounded like an alarm call was made and CJ7 flew off again with the fish.

16.00 022 to 5R2. He got it this time!

20.07 CJ7 to 5H6 (left) who had a tussle with 5R2 to get it.

©️BOPH

• All the birds were still here yesterday. They were almost all on the nest together!

From the left - CJ7 with a fish, 5R0 just arriving, 5H6 on the nest, 5R2 leaving with a leftover fish he found on the nest.

©️BOPH

5R0 and 5H6 have both been around today so far. 

• I went on this morning's Poole Harbour cruise - it was most extraordinary and such miraculous timing, the BoPH team were all animated and glowing, everyone aboard was thrilled to have seen the epic battle between the Osprey and the White-tailed Eagle. That was the highlight, of course, but we saw so much more! Within minutes of setting off, we'd seen about half a dozen Ospreys, and then spotted the WTE perched in a tree. We saw juvenile Ospreys trying and failing to catch fish, sometimes pulling out of their dives at the last minute, other times landing with a loud splash. The weather was perfect, neither hot nor cold, and partly cloudy which helped the team point out where the action was - eg left of the blue patch just above the treeline by the dead tree etc.

We saw a huge flock of Black-Tailed Godwits and then a Peregrine appeared, in definite hunting mode. The Godwits rose up in a cloud and the chase was on. Imagine a murmuration of Starlings - the Godwits looked like a smaller version but moving in the same sort of way, with the bigger darker shape of the Peregrine underneath, chasing. Every now and then the cloud would break into two groups, and the confused falcon would take a few seconds to decide which group to pursue. It was ultimately unsuccessful, but provided a thrilling spectacle. We also saw a Marsh Harrier, hunting low over the reed islands, don't think it got anything either.

Ospreys had mobbed the eagle in its tree, but it just sat there. Eventually they went back to fishing, and one was successful, pulling itself up out of the water with a big Grey Mullet - did you know they swim upside down? No, me neither! So when the Osprey flew off, it had the fish upside down in its talons. But not for long - the WTE left its tree in a hurry and started chasing. The Osprey was aware and held out for as long as possible, but with the huge WTE right on top of it, it dropped its fish, and the eagle immediately went after the fish. Gasps and whoops from all of us aboard! BoPH team said that Osprey was a migrant passing through, as the resident Ospreys - CJ7 & 022 - know where the eagles hang out and would out-fly them and keep their fish, as happened a couple of weeks ago, witnessed by that day's cruise passengers.

Another WTE appeared and flew down to its mate but they weren't allowed to feast on their stolen meal for long, as they were dive-bombed by several juvenile Ospreys. I was watching through binoculars, I didn't even attempt to film it as I knew I couldn't get any detail so I just enjoyed the action - but there were several proper photographers aboard with mile-long lenses and they got perfect shots. One of them was the wonderful Robin Morrison, and below are his photos he tweeted afterwards, retweeted by BoPH and me too. The fine detail he got is unbelievable, I didn't even get that much with my bins. I did get some 40x super slo-mo of an Osprey who flew almost overhead, and the Peregrine chasing the Godwits, and I'll put those up on youtube and post the link when ready.

By the way, the eagles were the one-footed male G463 who's had quite a few adventures since being sat tagged for another RDWF translocation programme, and his mate G466. More here:

• Aren't his photos simply stunning? @robinmmorrison if you're on TwiX

Link to my retweet and Robin's gracious response saying he's always happy to share his photos:

https://x.com/geemeff/status/1828849810100892138

Geemeff said:
    I went on this morning's Poole Harbour cruise

Vivid and so enjoyable to read, thank you Geemeff Hugging

• That’s absolutely fantastic Geemeff. An adventure of a lifetime with all that going on! Thank you so much for your detailed description and photos from Robin. The size difference between eagle and Osprey is incredible! It’s been an ambition of mine for some time to get down to Poole and go on one of their amazing cruises. One day! Blush

• Highly recommended, well worth the long drive. Would like to return although I think we had the event of the century on our cruise! Would take the morning cruise again, I think, catch all the hungry birds who might be resting in the afternoon.

We went down the day before and stayed in a hotel right on the quay five mins walk from the boat boarding point. No need to set an alarm as the Herring Gulls start calling at about 5am.. 

• Thanks so much for sharing Geemeff. That was clearly great value for money - even the weather was in your favour! And no doubt a highlight of your year. Whilst the excitement will be difficult to match, i certainly  hope to be able to follow in your footsteps when I can schedule a few days in Poole.