Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 December 2023

HAPPY CHRISTMAS 

To All Who Celebrate

I hope you all enjoy the holidays.

Santa will need a good GPS system on his sleigh when he arrives here. The temperature is soaring and likely to be 60F or 15.5C or higher tomorrow. So strange for us. The soaring temp has created VERY dense fog rolling through the woods and fields. I just saw a massive white-tailed deer buck in the bean field across the highway. He looked quite surreal bounding through the heavy fog and mist. 

Love and hugs to all.

• Thank you so much Clare. That is very helpful. I knew you were an expert on the subject but didn't like to ask!

I know I see many jackdaws. I see the beak is the difference with the other two. I shall try harder to id them (if I can get close enough). I like the croaky sounds. Lovely pictures.
  • To all ..... from a champion lurker!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Unknown said:
    No surprise to us that your photos attract such positive attention. I absolutely loved the three photos showing the jackdaw, rook and crow and seeing the differences you describe. I've often stared at these all-black critters and wondered which they were. (But dare I ask where the raven comes in, or is that another name for one of these three?) (Clueless in California...)

The best photos of ravens I can remember seeing on here were taken on holiday by Lindy a few years ago.  Check out this link (you might have to travel down the page but the photo is worth it!).  Ravens are massive, with a big chopper of a beak and a diamond-shaped tail in flight.  They make a deep 'kronk' sound, though they are capable of many different noises.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thank YOU Clare. I then went on to Google more info and found that I don't have to worry about confusing them as they haven't reached this neck of the woods yet.
  • Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas x
  • Heather - how wonderful to see you. I hope you manage to have a good Christmas. I wonder if you are now with family or if you are still in hospital (which I hope is not the case)
  • MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christmas morn here. 7.30 am and 15 C after overnight min of 14.6 C. All is quiet. Not a bike or skateboard is stirring down our street. Santa must have delivered techy stuff to local kids!

HEATHER – Lovely to see you posting. Get well soon.

RUSTY & PAT – I envy you hearing Carols from Kings. Years ago that would be shown on our TV but no longer. Probably too Christian now in our “inclusive” world. This year they did show a part of Carols from the London Coliseum. Obviously truncated because there were more soloists in the final line-up than we actually saw singing. However they did perform all but one of my favourites. BTW it was the 2022 concert.

• Hurray! A post from Heather. We have missed you. Let us know how you're doing when you have the time/energy.
  • Clare, that is wonderful about your painting. Your post had not appeared when I replied to your first one.
  • Christmas lunch was delish – turkey, of course. Roast potato, carrot & pumpkin. Broccoli & cauli. With trimmings of gravy, seasoning & cranberry sauce (from packet or jar). Choc cream pie. I slept all afternoon - maybe I should not have had that second glass of riesling? Methinks toast for tea. OH tried to go for a walk but was blown back home and has just donned his thick cardigan! After all those weather forecasts, max was 20 C. I have had classic radio on all day playing a great variety of carols and pleasant music (from Zorba the Greek to The Flower Duet to Fingal’s Cave to Lark Ascending). Now Pavarotti is singing “O Holy Night”. Dau#2 & Trio phoned this morn. I do believe we have another daughter. . .