Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The Great Lakes has experienced glorious Auroras (Northern Lights) this past week. The photos have been breathtaking. Nothing to report from my patch, though, except dense fog in the mornings, icy rain during the days, and snow showers at night. I have no wildlife stories to report this week, because I haven't been outdoors at all.

I have some critically important paperwork to complete by Thursday. After that, I've solemnly vowed to resume being a regular poster on this site for the winter. Sorry I've neglected everyone. This year has been rough. I'll be glad to see 2023 in the rear view mirror. :-)

Hugs to everyone! Strength to Heather and AQ.

• My friends had bought their stollen at Lidl and it was very nice.

I sent a post just after I arrived home but I obviously must have done something wrong because it never appeared. I had had rather a cold adventurous bus journey home!! More tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a picture from a cold damp Chester of the cathedral.

• Hugs to you, Pat. No way of making things easier, as the anniversaries of things come around. My OH sister is in the same position as it's unbelievably, a year since she lost her husband, very suddenly.

I seem to remember the stollen from M&S being rather unimpressive - I've been on a mission to find a nice version of it for a couple of years as one which I enjoyed became no longer available. We have a Booths Supermarket within reach, & their stuff is usually good quality -I'll try theirs (we don't have a Lidl). We went to an M&S in a nearby town today so I picked up some pigs in blankets to freeze ready for the big dinner.

I hope that Diane is coping with her form filling & is not too cold.
  • Ah, it's working again...

I see no one has posted since I did, last night. Must be gremlins in the system again.

Nice pic of Chester Cathedral, Rusty.

Very cold here again -- unexpected heavy frost over night, so had to winkle the car out of it's white overcoat again before dashing off for a haircut. The hairdresser was her usual chatty self. In the town, I had to carefully negotiate where big puddles had frozen over forming mini skating rinks.
  • It’s very quiet on here today!!
    The day began with a heavy frost, blue sky and sunshine. It is now dull and grey again but at least it is dry.
    I had a very nice time in Chester yesterday with my friend. We had an excellent meal in Cote Brasserie. Their Prix Fixe menu is good value in my opinion. The chocolate mousse is GORGEOUS!!!!! I waited for 30 minutes for the bus to come home. It was running late!!! Consequently, we got filled up with lots of schoolchildren and the bus was packed. It made us even later too. The bus was freezing!!! The bus due 30 minutes later (which was on time) caught us up (because we were picking up all the passengers!!) About 20 minutes from home, we were asked to all get on the 2nd bus and then the first bus just drove straight to its destination in the hope of picking up a bit of time. The 2nd bus was even colder!!!! Everyone was very good humoured though. When I got off I just wanted to come home and have a hot cup of tea. However, I bumped into a dog walker I know well and he wanted to chat!!! Anyway, it was a good day. Today I have been cleaning and writing letters to go in my Christmas cards,
    I will send some Chester photos soon.
  • I look forward to seeing your Chester pics Rusty.

Not a nice day here.....misty all day and getting progressively worse.
  • A few photos from a damp Chester. Hope they bring back memories for some.

Eastgate Street

And looking in the opposite direction. 

• Looking down Bridge Street from the cross

The Cross

Looking up Bridge Street towards the cross

• Inside the Grosvenor Centre

The Town Hall and Christmas market

• Lovely pictures, Rusty. Thank you. Happy memories ...

I've been playing in a bowls match this afternoon. There was some confusion about the heating ... it wasn't on! We were all very cold. I am now at home snug and warm - but have to turn out in a few minutes for a Church Council meeting. Do I want to go out into a temperature of 2 degrees? No, I do not!!! But duty calls ... just hope someone has remembered to put the heating on the meeting room.