Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 November 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK 

I hope you all have a good week!

The National Weather Service has announced that the US will have a very strong El Nino winter. For the Midwest, that means a warmer and dryer season. Dang, I hope so. 

Right now, I have a fishing spider in my dining room and another one in my living room. Each is the size of my hand! They're happily eating the last of the summer gnats. We had an even bigger than normal population of gnats, mosquitoes, and biting flies this year. I'm letting the spiders enjoy them. They'll go hibernate under the house when they're finished. LOL 

Happy Thanksgiving or whatever you celebrate to Annette and bjane.

Hugs to all.

• All this talk of flinging - I really must do some more! I started on my very large piles of piano music a few weeks ago. Got so far and just couldn't face getting rid of very much. I play very rarely these days and keep promising myself I will play more 'when I have time'. Which never seems to happen! But I still can't bring myself to 'fling' the music I used to play. Not easy ... I also need to go through photographs - even less easy.

My gardening lady came yesterday and did wonderful things. A low growing conifer which was spreading outwards alarmingly has now gone - I didn't like it when I moved in thirteen years ago, so am pleased there are now only two huge roots left, which she will 'deal with' in the spring. The wygelia has been brought under control, which will I'm sure be welcomed by the postman! The Japanese anemones, which were lovely for their first year but then grew leggy and rampant, have also been removed - I'm sure they'll be back next year! The roses have been pruned heavily to avoid wind rock during the winter. The only thing that still needs dealing with is the cistus. When I bought it, about six years ago, it was about eight inches tall. It's now enormous - more like a tree than a shrub! That will be dealt with after it flowers next year. I only have a tiny garden but two huge barrow loads went down to the compost heap. Now I can see what's growing - and can have fun finding new smalll and manageable plants to fill the gaps. Any suggestions?

Hope Heather is recovering from her fall. I wonder if she is still in hospital, or home again?
  • Realised that I've been so busy I've not got around to posting.

You did have a busy time, AQ. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what to fling and when. Sue often throws stuff out, and although some of it goes to the charity shop I do cringe as she is way too ruthless -- six months later she says she can't find things, or else she knows its gone but she regrets it as she needs one, now!

I was going to let go a whole lot of plastic childrens plates etc. a couple of years ago, then we had a late baby and little Rosie can use them on her rare visits here. Then they'll have to go!

My OH has battled with the painting. He was hoping to be nearly finished now, but its not to be - he did
    the ceiling three times till he was happy, then tried the new yellow paint on the walls and instead of a soft lemon, its ghastly - way too bright! After an emergency visit to the do it yourself shop yesterday, where we pondered over all the choices, and we came home with a soft sort of pale beige/coloured white, he is now slapping this on all over. Had to stop to move some furniture. I've been ironing, but have no energy. Only made a start on the big pile. Ho hum.

We have a TV in the dining room/back sitting room which we use during the day. We found two days ago that it wouldn't show all the channels. My OH lugged the bedroom TV down to test the aerial, It was OK. So I dug out the guarantee for the TV. not to claim on it because I knew we'd had it for ages, but to see what date we had bought it. Over 20 years ago!! Am now researching for a new TV and hoping we can have a smaller one as its rather large having been our main one a long time ago, as we moved it when we got an all dancing all singing model for the sitting room.
  • Pat O said:
    new smalll and manageable plants to fill the gaps. Any suggestions?

Hi Pat, perennial Eryisimum, Bowles mauve, puts on a good show and can be pruned to keep at whatever size is required, another good perennial is Gaura, lovely spikes of blooms in several different colours, this one still in bloom in my garden!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• After so much rain, soil softened and I spent some time in my weed patch (formerly veggie patch). Looking forward to an evening with Vera, even if it is a repeat.

• AQ - well done with the weeding. We had our first frost of the year last night. Everywhere looks very pretty this morning.
    Lindy - glad the paintwork finally got sorted but what a lot of work it involved. Good luck with the new TV. Mine isn’t all that big but I figure that if I can see the golf ball when I watch the golf tournaments then it must be OK for me!! Hope you find the energy to finish the ironing. ,
    The French homework arrived last night! The lesson is on Monday! We have to write a little bit, in French of course, about a holiday we had on or near a river. I remembered a holiday I had with my Canadian friends in a gîte in the Dordogne, I dug out the scrapbooks and had a lovely trip down memory lane. It was 2005. I look a lot slimmer in the photos!!!!!!! So, this morning, I am going to sit and write about it, in particular the day we hired a kayak and paddled down the river!!! Lovely memories. Whilst I am in French mode, I will write 3 letters to my friends in France (in French of course) to put in their Christmas cards. I may then do some more garden tidying this afternoon when the frost has gone.
    My Christmas cactus has flowered. It is always a month early. I will send a photo later.
  • Thank you, Wendy. I will investigate - I haven't heard of either of them, but personal recommendation is always welcomed
  • Rusty’s Christmas cactus!!!!

Taken looking into the light but you get the idea. I have put a pencil for scale.

• Had a lovely walk in our woods this morning. I bumped into someone I haven't seen for years and we had a long chat. She used to have 2 Samoyeds which she walked daily in the woods.We knew they had died and she was utterly distraught. She has also moved house though not too far away. She eventually got herself another Samoyed (now 20 months old) and today plucked up the courage to bring Coral to our woods for the first time. How fortunate we bumped into each other.
  • Morning all: Been busy here.

AQ; Have you read the Anne Cleeve books featuring Vera? I like the character and the actress

Rusty: Our Christmas cactus is outside all year and is about to burst into bloom. That sounds like a really good French class - do you get grammar, etc., corrected?

Lindybird: Paint can be so different once it's on the walls. Good luck with the new color - and the new TV. Ours aren't dancing and singing ones (Panasonic); We did pick up a smaller one that uses wifi and can connect to Netflix and other services, but rarely use it (used mostly by Ms D when she's here and has a spare hour or two).

dibnlib: Coral is a pretty name for a dog.

Thinking of Heather and wondering how she's doing physically and mentally. Wonder how she'll cope at home once she's out of hospital.... I'm sure her daughters will pitch in but they have jobs and families too.

Take care everyone.
  • Annette - re French. We correct ourselves. Most of us have got at least A level but many of us have degrees in French or have lived and worked in France. We enjoy keeping our language skills up and discussing such varied topics. Apparently, it’s going to be rivers on Monday.