Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 November 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone is safe and secure from the flooding and other perils of the big storm. My thoughts are with you all. Also, I'm sending healing to Heather.

I heard a wild turkey in the neighbors' side of the woods this week. I didn't see the bird, but the gobble call was unmistakable. I didn't look for it, because it was probably seeking safe haven from the hunters (Thanksgiving is coming here). I left it in peace.

I hope everyone has a good week (with sunshine!).

• ANNETTE - No, have resisted a help call button - it makes me feel old ! Stupid, I know. I do take my mobile phone outside these days, though ! And yes, I'm drinking more water :-)
    I'm healing physically but keep getting flashbacks to when I fell . I know these will gradually fade away.
    Thanks to everyone for their news - one of these days I will catch up !
  • Heather B said:
    No, have resisted a help call button - it makes me feel old !

I would have thought your increased risk of falling would make you feel even older.  I'd recommend the help button - not least because it doesn't need a mobile signal or an undamaged phone.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It a beautiful day today. I have been catching up with chores and have just come in from 20 minutes of leaf scraping. I make leaf mould in black sacks. The leaves take about 2 years to break down but the product is amazing. Monty Don taught me how to do that!!!!
    Heather, may I out my twopenneth in re the alarm. My dad got very nervous after his wife passed away. (2nd marriage as my mum died at the age of 50) Living on his own didn’t really suit him. He would ring me in the middle of the night. I live 3 hours away as does my sister so it made us both feel very helpless. In the end, we persuaded him to get an alarm which was channeled through to a service of some sort. He had no relatives or close friends around who could respond. He had a bracelet rather than a necklace which was much more discreet. It was waterproof I believe so he could shower in it. I think it gave him confidence and he only pressed it about 3 times as I remember. Each time the paramedics came and were lovely with him, made him tea and reassured him. At the age of 86, he went into a care home and was much much happier there. He had people to talk to, he liked the food and he felt secure. He had his own phone line so he could phone us for a chat and we rang him every evening.
    Dibnlib - what a difference in the price of the wheelchairs. Well done with the jigsaws. I only do jigsaws in the winter as I am too busy in the better weather (as you may have deduced!!!)
    Annette - glad the gardener came and that you got the gutters done, I had a chap here to give me an estimate for gutters and several other jobs. I have used him before and he is usually very reliable. He said it would be mid October when he could come. He has not been!!! I will ring him on Monday I think.
    OG - why do some forms ask the most stupid questions? Who designs them I ask??? Glad you got your jabs,
    I think that’s answered all the points so I will be back later to describe my 2 busy days!!!!!
  • Heather - I forgot to put the main point re Dad’s alarm. It gave me and my sister peace of mind to know that he had a way of communicating in case he was in trouble. Maybe that is why your family want you to have one.
  • Some very sensible words for HEATHER. Only saying this because we all care.
  • Absolutely agree with Rusty and dibnlib.

I have not ben able to post for a while. The fault 'thingy' keeps coming up. My pearls (or not) of wisdom disappeared into the ether!
  • Rosy: I've been wondering where your pearls of wisdom had gone. :-)