Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a wonderful week!

It"s definitely autumn here, and the weather is turning chilly. Over 600 million birds have flown over Indiana during this migration season. 233,600 crossed the full length of the state last night. The scientists use weather radar to track the birds. The birds appear differently from the rain/sleet/snow on the radar. So, the bird data can be separated from the weather data and analyzed.

https://dashboard.birdcast.info/region/US-IN

Below is an interesting article showing how the researchers use weather radar to identify the species, direction, and numbers of birds on migration.

https://birdcast.info/about/weather-surveillance-radar-and-bird-migration-primer/

I haven't seen any reporting on the fate of the tropical flamingos that ended up in the Midwest, including Indiana. I'm hoping they saw the birds migrating and joined a flock of other large birds, such as the white pelicans that migrate through my state.

Hugs to all.

• Hello again, just been skimming through all the news since the start of the week.

Pleased to hear that most of you are coping with whatever problems are arising

OG - pleased to learn that J has managed 2 walks into the town and will be going again today. Hope he manages
    to secure a job.

The Middle East situation is dire and despite what Hammas has done I do feel for the Palestinians who have had their
    land slowly taken away from them. Also the people of Israel are suffering too. I just pray that diplomatic talks can realise a compromise and a tentative peace will reign in the region. ???

Weather has been mixed the last few days with more rain today. We always seem to get the aftermath of a storm and never get the worst of them. Feel for those up North who have been suffering with more flooding. Let's hope the storm has receded and folk can get on with their lives.

Off for Covid booster tomorrow. Have a great weekend all.
  • Annette - all road signs in Wales are bilingual.
  • It's rained non stop here - my OH couldn't even take the dog out for ten minutes without arriving back with both of them soaked. The garden is a sorry sight.

OG - Yes, it's like a floating hotel on board ship. But the food is mostly delicious & plentiful, there are many diversions such as interesting speakers,both about where you are going to see, but also about other subjects, there are cookery demonstrations, dance lessons and quizzes, for instance. On board gymnasiums keep those who are athletic happy. You can have a massage or a hairdo or a manicure. I like that you hang up your clothes only once, but every day or every few days, you wake up in another location without any effort on your part!

We usually meet interesting people from all over the UK. Of course, there are occasional bores but we have been lucky in the main with our table companions at dinner. The drinks thing.... ... Well, we don't drink as much as we used to, but all the drinks are often expensive anyway. When we went on P&O, the bottle of wine with dinner was £40 - right away, we made it last for two dinners! You can soon build up quite a bill, which has to be paid when you disembark at the end.

We were surprised yesterday to see a For Sale sign going up on the house nearby, where our neighbour has just died. The family have been there all  week, taking out personal possessions etc. So we will have new neighbours - maybe even a young family, as the high school is only yards away.

• rusty2 said:
    Annette - all road signs in Wales are bilingual.

Plus, the minute you enter Wales you get ARAF (SLOW) written on the road at regular intervals.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lynette D said:
    The Middle East situation is dire and despite what Hammas has done I do feel for the Palestinians who have had their
    land slowly taken away from them.

This has escalated.  Check this out - it makes heartbreaking reading.

I don't remotely support terrorist violence - and Hamas is undoubtedly a terrorist organisation.  I just can't get my head around why the world isn't holding Israel to account for encouraging what amounts to ethnic cleansing.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I have been to Tescos in town. No problems. You wouldn’t know there had been flooding.
    However, scary videos on the golf club Twitter page of the river flowing over its banks and all over the lower part of the course, The greenkeepers say they have pumps ready as soon as the river goes back between its banks. Don’t think we will be playing any time soon. I will try to get a screenshot and send a photo.

• I tried to copy and send the video but failed. The 2 photos give some idea. Let’s just say that there should be no water at all there. Those are both fairways!!!!! 

• Wow, Rusty -- I thought that you had put on some pictures of lakes!! That's shocking.

A nice bit of sunshine here, today, as the wet ground tries to recover from hours of non stop deluge. Our local shops were busy today as I guess people have been staying indoors to avoid the wet.

Rusty, one of the 1st words of Welsh I learned was "Araf!!".
  • I suspect that Araf is possibly the first Welsh word any English visitor to Wales picks up. The other word which was impossible to forget (for me, anyway) was Heddlu (police)!