Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a great week!

• Deserted beaches. Bonnie ran about until we met another similar spaniel who was down a big hole, trying gamely to dig his way to visit AQ! His owners said that he never dug holes in the garden, only on the beach.

• View of the sea from our seats at lunch in the hotel- this is Bull Bay where there isn't a beach.

• Puffin Island, so called as a main breeding place. None there at present, of course. 

• The lighthouse next to Puffin Island. (With Bonnie infiltrating)

We saw all the usual coastal birds, gulls, oystercatchers, plus some buzzards and a whole lot of crows. No pictures, but I always think of you, Clare!

• View of the mainland from the entrance to the Menai Straits. 

• Lindy. You went to Penmon. I love that place. Thanks for the photos. I must go again soon. They have eradicated all the rats on Puffin Island now and are hoping that the puffins will return. Anglesey beaches are wonderful and great for dogs to run about on. I noticed that you could take your dog to Bodnant as long as it was on a lead. They have water bowls around and doggy waste bins.
    AQ - I am amazed that there are still all male golf clubs with you. How can it be allowed? I dont think they exist here now at all. When I joined my current club over 40 years ago there were no restrictions on ladies even then. One of the reasons I joined. It remains a really friendly (not posh at all) club.
    OG - I agree with what Lindy said re your family meeting and the current situation. It is a very difficult time. I have had a preliminary chat with my nieces (who will have my power of attorney when and if necessary) because I am aware that I am on my own. They joke that they will put me, my sis and bro in law and my holiday friend all in the same care home so that they only have to visit one place!!!!!!! It’s something we don’t want to think about though isn’t it? Says she who is lucky enough to be about to go out on another lovely social walk.
  • Yes Rusty, it's Penmon. They still charge an entrance fee of £3.50 as its private land on the headland. Lovely hot chocolate and coffee in the tiny cafe there, though!

I thought the puffins had returned on Puffin Island, although obviously not in such huge numbers.
  • rusty2 said:
    I am amazed that there are still all male golf clubs with you. How can it be allowed? I dont think they exist here now at all. When I joined my current club over 40 years ago there were no restrictions on ladies even then. One of the reasons I joined. It remains a really friendly (not posh at all) club.

It shouldn't be allowed.  I can think of one or two high-profile clubs which have grudgingly changed that rule as they were losing out on hosting high profile tournaments, but you can bet the misogynists will still be at those clubs, in force.

Since I took up target shooting in 1996 I've belonged to three clubs, all of them with a very male-dominated membership.  I left the first one in 1998, partly due to the sexism.  The second club I joined is where I met Limpy - he was the duty officer the night I first went down to shoot.  He'd been told I was coming and he'd been asked to keep an eye out for me and to look after me ........ we were married a year later!  Sadly he gave up shooting and left the club a couple of years later but I stayed until 2017.  By then the club membership had changed considerably and a thoroughly unpleasant clique was dominating the place - yup, more misogynists.  Cue my joining my third club, on the other side of Suffolk - where I was welcomed with open arms despite my not marrying any of them on arrival!!  Limpy sometimes comes with me when I go there as it's a great place for birdlife and the club erected a barn owl nest box the year I joined and we regularly see the owls about.  I sincerely hope that the overwhelmingly nice membership of this club doesn't go pearshaped years down the road.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindybird said:
    We saw all the usual coastal birds, gulls, oystercatchers, plus some buzzards and a whole lot of crows. No pictures, but I always think of you, Clare!

I would have been more than happy to see all of those, Lindy!  I need to get back to north Wales as I need another chough fix.  Bother is I always have to make it up to Bempton for my annual gannet fix (can't miss them!) and we are also planning to go to Northern Ireland (where I'll get my hooded crow fix).  I'm clearly trying to service too many fixes!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Long post without checking and of course I was signed out.....not time for more.