Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a great October!

We've had an interesting phenomenon here in the Great Lakes/Midwest, including Indiana. Flamingos have been showing up on Lake Michigan and the Ohio River. Their presence here is unprecedented. They are tropical birds native to Central/South America, although some do appear in Florida.

Some scientists have speculated that the birds were blown here by Hurricane Idalia. Personally, I think that sounds odd because the hurricane traveled up the east coast of the US. The winds didn't impact the Midwest. (But nobody asked my opinion lol.) I hope the birds leave soon, because they won't survive our winter.

Hugs to all.

https://www.wishtv.com/weather/weather-stories/unprecedented-flamingo-sightings-continue-in-indiana/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/flamingos-wisconsin-tropical-birds-visit-lake-michigan-beach-103437623

• I tried posting three times today. "An error occurred" every time, so am trying again.
  • It worked! Hello to all. I have lost the will to repeat everything. I was quite pleased with a fairly long post.
  • Rosy -- So annoying, isn't it!

Annette - That sounds a big job and a big tree. You must be relieved that it's sorted.

OG -- Glad the door is finally fixed and done.

Rusty -- Thank you so much. Very kind of you. We will go and have a look, but it could be next year now. We've arrived this afternoon in our holiday home for our last visit of the season. It's possible to still come here in November but we never do, it's too cold.

This morning I was in a somewhat sombre mood as recently we heard that the husband of my second cousin is very poorly. The end of life was on my mind as I packed. When my OH arrived home at lunchtime, he asked if I'd heard the news. as he had just been told that one of our neighbours had died on Tuesday. (She lived 3 doors away). When we got to the caravan, we were told that someone here had died recently. Hum.
  • Dau & I have been voting for the Aussie bird of the year. My first and second and third choices were knocked out in prelim rounds <sigh> I've never heard of the Swift Parrot.

• Lindybird said:
    This morning I was in a somewhat sombre mood as recently we heard that the husband of my second cousin is very poorly. The end of life was on my mind as I packed. When my OH arrived home at lunchtime, he asked if I'd heard the news. as he had just been told that one of our neighbours had died on Tuesday. (She lived 3 doors away). When we got to the caravan, we were told that someone here had died recently. Hum.

Oh, blimey - yes, I can imagine that doesn't feel good.  One the plus side you're still here!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindy - yes. It does stop you in your tracks when you hear of yet another person you know dying. As Clare says, you are still here! Enjoy your stay in Wales. It is supposed to be nice weather but it is very windy here. 2 of the pots in my garden have blown over - again!
    Well, my plan for this morning was to go to Tescos and then walk up into town to visit some of the shops there. I never made it to town!!!! Our Tescos is like a social club. As I walked into the store I met a former colleague. We went immediately to the cafe and had a very long coffee and chat. Then, during my shopping, I kept bumping into other people and having chats with them. It is really very nice. I will pop to town one day next week. Nothing is that urgent.
  • Rusty: Did you get to buy anything in Tesco? :-)

AQ; Oz has the most spectacularly colored birds. That was a fun link; thank you.

Lindybird: Enjoy Wales. Hope the weather is kind.
  • Morning all

Just thought  this maybe of interest/help.

Daughter bought for me to use after cataract removal. I thought it was a load of TAT!! but had to eat my words, it really is  helpful

(picture copied from amazon review)

Hope we in the South UK can enjoy an Indian summer and trust those Northwards do not get too much Rain

• Yes. Annette. I did my grocery shopping then went back to town in the afternoon to do the other bits.
    Well, I haven’t said this for a while what with holidays and Covid, but I am going golfing today!!! It is our Autumn Meeting. I gather it is heavy going after all that rain but I feel that I have my energy back. We will see. At least we have warm dry weather here with hazy sunshine.
    I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.