Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a great October!

We've had an interesting phenomenon here in the Great Lakes/Midwest, including Indiana. Flamingos have been showing up on Lake Michigan and the Ohio River. Their presence here is unprecedented. They are tropical birds native to Central/South America, although some do appear in Florida.

Some scientists have speculated that the birds were blown here by Hurricane Idalia. Personally, I think that sounds odd because the hurricane traveled up the east coast of the US. The winds didn't impact the Midwest. (But nobody asked my opinion lol.) I hope the birds leave soon, because they won't survive our winter.

Hugs to all.

https://www.wishtv.com/weather/weather-stories/unprecedented-flamingo-sightings-continue-in-indiana/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/flamingos-wisconsin-tropical-birds-visit-lake-michigan-beach-103437623

• Hi everyone and thank you Diane for starting another week off. Do hope the flamingos decide to fly back south as , as you say, they won't survive a midwest winter.

Not been on for some time but have just read through this weeks so far and great to hear you are all up to something.

Went for my post cataract eye test on Saturday , much better vision now. Prescribed for reading and will be without the very thick lense which I had on my left eye ( this one was done recently). Hopefully they may be ready by the weekend as dau is going for an eye test as she is experiencing some discomfort with present glasses.

We are plodding on down here, annual cricket club presentation evening coming up, which we have a curry beforehand. Went to last years as I'd inaugurated a cup in memory of my husband who had a long association with the club.

Lindy , love the pics of your flowers and Rusty2, what peaceful looking pictures.

Weather has been mixed down here with the odd thunderstorm, some rain, but mainly cloudy with the sun trying to come out and succeeding from time to time. Will look in later.
  • Thanks for all your news.

We have been lucky enough to see a Kingfisher on a couple of occasions......not easily seen as they are so small and very quick.

Off for afternoon tea soon. My OH has done some cutting back of ivy a few times for a neighbour whose husband died about 18 months ago. She has kindly given him afternoon tea vouchers for Simpsons our local garden centre.
  • Nice to hear from Lynette. Doesn't seem a year since you last went to the Cricket Club Presentation Evening.

Dibnlib - Enjoy your afternoon tea. We find that afterwards, you don't want anything else for the rest of the day! What a thoughtful present.

Rusty - Thanks for the heads up re the Kingfishers. We know where the castle is although we've never been inside (& it also sounds interesting) so we should be able to find it. My OH would also be pleased to see a Kingfisher, even though he's not as bird mad as I am.

Drier today, with the occasional grey cloud and the odd burst of sunshine. I can hear my OH cutting the lawn. I've been cleaning madly, and trying to find out results of a blood test I took last week. Apparently there was "nothing untoward found". I'll have to make an appointment at the surgery to discuss it further. Actually, I've been feeling much better this week with no reason for it. I'm now worried that they will have my medical file marked secretly as "neurotic old woman". Sigh.

Good news that they've finally decided not to build the last leg of the controversial HS2 rail line. I predicted this four years ago, when it was disclosed that the costs were mounting. Thank goodness they have the sense to spend the money on more infrastructure in the North, instead. I know it's probably just a vote catcher, but hey, who cares why if they're going to do it. Sorry if this is too political!

• Excuse me everyone if I put this screenshot of a map to guide Lindy to the Spinnies.

You exit at the Tal y Bont turn off (the one after Abergwyngregyn) and go under the A55 on that tiny white road which doesn’t seem to have a number. It ends up by the entrance to Penrhyn Castle. Before you get there, there is a brown sign pointing right to the beach and nature reserve. It is a very narrow road. Just by a farm you might be able to park on the road on the left and walk back to the gate in the wall on the left. (It will be on the right if you are walking back!!!) Follow the path and the hide is signposted. The kingfisher is on the pond side not the sea side. If you can’t park there you have to drive to the beach car park and walk back.

As there are no facilities there, may I suggest a pit stop at Aber Distillery (turn off at the Abergwyngregin  exit and follow the tiny signs.) You can sit outside with the dog. The Bara brith is the best I have ever tasted!!!!

• Morning all   I saw a Kingfisher when I was walking in Cassiobury Park near the canal eons ago during a visit to the UK.  Everyone nearby was admiring it, so a rare sighting even then?    Don't know if anyone's been watching (or even cares) about the political fiasco here; seems like you have your own.  I gather the folks up north feel really short-changed by the cancellation of the second leg of the HS2.  

Today, the tree people are here to prune our enormous Chinese Elm and tidy up the three Olive trees; they'll be here most of the day.   Was daughter's birthday yesterday; we went off for breakfast and ae planning to go to the Fiddler's Convention at a local historic site on Saturday.  Then I'm off to Arizona for the week to see what needs doing with the house there.  

Nice to see folks popping into the site.  Seems like everyone's fairly busy (and yes, Lindybird, good thing you didn't see family as planned).  

Take care everyone.

• Annette, Three olive trees! I have just acquired one for our roof terrace. OH kept hinting that it would be nice to have one, so I bought one for his birthday present. He is very impressed with it. It is about six feet tall and obviously will be grown in a container. I am on a learning curve about how to look after it. "Olive" was delivered by a cheery man from Norfolk from where I found the most suitable tree (and best bargain) . Apparently it is tolerant of windy places which it needs to be here.
    I googled 'Fiddles Convention', but am none the wiser as there seem to be many of them in various locations.

OH does not feel well today, but Covid test is negative. I am hearing of several people who have it recently.

Thanks to every for news. Best wishes to all.
  • Rosy: I'll be interested to hear how your olive tree will do; that sounds like a nice size. . They're pretty adaptable; here we like them coz they love hot dry conditions, are drought resistant and don't mind if you ignore them. Frankly, I don't do much with ours other than giving them a serious haircut every two years and a quick trim when the branches start smacking neighbors in the face.   Oh - and the Fiddlers Convention is at Stow House in Goleta, but it's going to be 90F on Saturday, so now we aren't sure about attending.

Tree company was here all day today. They had to bring a truck with a bucket for the Chinese Elm. We had two limbs removed: One was leaning heavily against another and when they took that off the remaining one looked odd and had leaves only at the extremity, so after much discussion and viewing from various angles, we decided to take that off too. A very noise day, especially with the power tools and the wood chipper. The tree looks much more balanced now and is safer - Chinese Elms are susceptible to cankers, which weaken them. .

Anyway, it's been a long day; am ignoring the news - it's hazardous to my health. :-(

• Unknown said:
    OH does not feel well today, but Covid test is negative. I am hearing of several people who have it recently.

It can take days before a test shows up as positive.  If he's got the symptoms then assume he has it - and I'd recommend he tests again today and tomorrow.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Had man here yesterday to rectify door problems to our satisfaction - he also discovered missing parts of the job which other guy had left out - call me ageist if you like, but this was a quiet middle-aged man who actually seemed to know what he was doing - wish we had him originally, but it seems they keep him in reserve to try to pacify customers like us!

J returned to work Tuesday after just one day with his bad knee - EE has been driving him to reduce the walking, and he seems to be coping with all the physical stuff of the classroom - they apparently no longer sit kids down and teach them!

LINDA - sorry to see family covid news - good thing you stayed away from them.

LYNETTE - good to hear from you after a while.

We had to move our shopping trip from Wednesday to today, so will be setting out soon - garden centre lunch and meat shopping.
  • Annette - glad the tree finally got sorted.
    OG - it sounds as if you got a man who knew what he was doing at last. So pleased the door is now done to your satisfaction. I hope the shopping expedition and lunch went well.
    I had another 2 hours at the zoo this morning with a friend. We both decided on an animal we would like to see and made a route to see them both!! We saw neither!!! However, we did have some excellent sightings and also enjoyed looking at the planting. This afternoon I visited my friend who had the big op a week last Monday. She is doing amazingly well. Still uncomfortable but able to potter round the garden and go for a little drive with her OH. We have agreed that he will bring her here for an hour on Sunday morning and she will “inspect” my garden. I will then drive her home (it’s only a mile)
    - - - I came to post this and the dreaded orange sign came up to say that I had been signed out. I had done an update. Maybe that was why. Anyway, fortunately I had copied the post first and was able to paste it once I was signed back in.