Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

For various reasons, I've had a bad summer. So. I concluded today that I need to improve my quality of life. I went outdoors and sat down on my front step to think. There on the sidewalk in front of me was a big, astonishingly beautiful feather. It appeared to be about 11 inches long. The shaft was a brilliant silver color. The bottom was a silver gray with white splotches, and the upper section was a mottled deep brown and midnight black. The edges were outlined in black and silver. 

I'm not good at identifying feathers, and I didn't recognize the bird species. I don't think it was a hawk feather. It wasn't a bald eagle, a goose, a duck, a vulture, or a wild turkey. It could have been an owl, but I didn't recognize it. 

As Annette said earlier, this is the time of peak migration here in the Midwest. Millions of birds are in the sky during the 3 hours after sunset. So, I reckon a bird from up north decided to visit me. I felt uplifted.

Take care, all.

• I'll have to do replies tomorrow, because right now I am too full of swearywords!

J came home this afternoon with his latest news. The new head has decided that he was wrongly given the job – it should have been advertised! He can "stay if he wants" until an appointment has been made! She hadn’t even got the gumption to come and tell him herself – she sent someone with a nessage! Whart is the point of being on a zero hours contract to go where needed and then not be allowed to fill a gap which needs filling? GGGRRR!

• Clare - my AONB is the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley. Parts of it are indeed quite hilly.
    OG - J does seem to get treated very badly in his jobs. Is it the zero hours contract which causes it? No wonder you are full of sweary words. The TAs I know are pretty much full time and permanent fixtures in their schools. Is J more like a supply teacher - on stand by the fill in if someone is absent? It must be very unsettling. Has he decided whether he will stay until an appointment has been made?
  • HAPPY SEPTEMBER EQUINOX TO ALL!

RUSTY: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope all your celebrations are wonderful. (I love lemon drizzle cake.)

OG: I am so very sorry that J has been treated so awfully. I was really hoping he would enjoy this job and it would be a long-term opportunity. Stress for him, you, and EE. Hugs from me.

LINDY: I really hope the doctors can determine why you haven't been feeling well. And I hope they can get you back to 100%. Hugs from me. I laughed at your shower story.:-)
  • So lovely to see Cirrus, Scylla, and WendyBarter posting here..

To All: I've been a dismal failure at posting replies on here this summer, but I'm going to have a stern talk with myself on the equinox tomorrow and vow to move forward in my life. It's a new season!
  • Rusty - HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) Hope your celebration party is great, and enjoyed by all. I like lemon drizzle cake as well!

OG - So sorry to hear about J's awful treatment. It seems nobody considers the feelings of others these days. So very sad.
  • A very happy birthday to Rusty! I hope you have a good day.

OG, I don't have words - and if I did, they'd be sweary. I'm not surprised you're so angry.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Just realised what a sweeping statement I wrote above - well, it is the middle of the night and my brain isn't fully engaged! I apologise ... what I should have said is more along the lines of those in positions of authority seem less inclined to consider the feelings of others ... apologies! I'm going back to bed now to see if I can regain my brain power before a busy day tomorrow! Oops - no, today!!
  • Happy birthday, RUSTY - enjoy your day with the family !
    OG -this is so unsettling for J. I have no words.
  • A Very Happy BIRTHDAY RUSTY.

Am sure you will have lovely friends enjoying all the hard work you have done to make them all welcome especially today.So easy to say" try not to get too stressed everyone will be so pleased to celebrate your special day what ever"
    BIG HUGS