Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Have a good week, folks.

I'm once again in the midst of a regional power outage. So, I'm logging off to preserve the charge on my phone. Sigh...

Take care, all.

• Heather - I wish I could send you some of my get up and go. I am very lucky that I have it and always try to seize the day. I know I am a glass half full person and am sure that helps.
    So, today I have been out with the ladies’ birdwatching group. We were just on the English side of the Dee estuary. It is a lovely walk along a flat cycle track. We see geese (the pink foot are back) waders, ducks and lots of little birds like meadow pipits and stonechats. However, the highlight today was not one but two little owls. We have done that walk 3 times at least over the last couple of years and, although we know where they perch and roost, we haven’t seen them. Today, one could even be seen with the naked eye. I was really chuffed. To my knowledge, I don’t think I have ever seen one before. As I said to the ladies, it’s like buses, you wait 70+ years and then 2 come at once!!! I just had time for a quick bacon butty at a great cyclists cafe before driving back to go to Armchair Travellers. I got there with a minute to spare. A lady I have known for ages was giving a talk on her holiday to Malta. I was very interested to hear what she had to say because my holiday to Malta hadn’t left me with the idea that I would want to return there. The talk was very interesting. Her visits were more varied than ours although she did comment on the dreadful traffic which I remember too. The arch at the azure window on Gozo has fallen into the sea since I went but the locals are still taking boat trips out to see the caves.
  • Thanks for all the kind comments. Strange how things work out – J has the possibility (that vague at present) of one of three jobs at the primary school near home (just a 10 minute walk away); he will be following up on it tomorrow!

E-E and I went out for lunch today – at church. The social and fund-raising committee put on a monthly “soup and sweet” lunch, but this one was to mark the harvest season, so was an excellent salad (a bit like a “ploughman’s”). E-E had trifle to follow, but I don’t bother with puds. Had some good conversations with various visitors – including three ladies who come over from Cumbria every month for the drive and the meal. J had to stay at home and eat the packed lunch which had been bought before Lockerbie finished with him yesterday!

ANNETTE – J does not get benefits related to his medical problems, just the standard “Universal Credit” because he is considered able to work. He is expected to spend 35 hours a week seeking work when not working – virtually impossible in our semi-rural area. He wouldn’t manage dog-walking as his balance is not good enough to stay on his own feet without four extra feet to fall over!

Daughter#2 and her OH will arrive from their Blackpool holiday after lunch tomorrow, and then we get an evening meal out at a hotel in Gretna where we used to go when we rented a temporary house there during our move 20 years ago. I may not get to write tomorrow evening – we shall see them off after dinner then come back home to do things which have been neglected so far this week!
  • Not been on here today because of travelling -- we are in Wales again for a break. Good journey here except for the inevitable roadworks (drains being dug up, this time!). Big black clouds hanging around the peaks of Snowdonia, but only grey ones here and no rain until we sat for our meal at about 7.00pm. Now it's becoming quite heavy so my OH is waiting for a break in it to take Bonnie for her last walk of the day.

Heather: The door was finished, thankfully, on Tuesday, when the golf was rained off. Several other small jobs around the house got done, too!

Rusty - Nice for you to see so many birds on your latest outing. I love owls. We once saw a barn owl in flight when we were walking along a road in an evening in Cyprus -- it was magical, and completely silent. I can see why the white ones are mistaken for ghosts.
  • OG – I hope this latest job offer for J is real and lasting.

PAT – Oh dear, you are suffering from that dreadful disease – an inability to say “no”!!!

Suddenly this week, warm weather, high 20s C and sunshine. OH is reluctantly thinking about watering the lawn.

• RUSTY Lucky you, what a wonderful sighting.

OG Enjoy your day with the family and I do hope J is successful with the local job.

LINDY Have a lovely wee break.

We are having fun and games here. OH woke up on Wed what a completely bloodshot eye (looks like something from Hallowe'en) GP thinks it is a subconjunctival haemorrhage. Lucky his sight is fine and it is not painful. Should take 1-2 weeks to clear. He also has to go to the local clinic on Monday for an ingrown toenail op. We went to town today only to find Morrisons closed, ditto The Eastgate and Markies and goodness knows where else. It seems there has been a major power outage because of a fire. We went to Tiso for coffee instead.
  • That must have been worrying, Dibnlib. Good job you were able to get his eye looked at promptly. One of my sons had an ingrowing toenail - its no fun.

I keep having to sign in when I come on here -- 4 out of 5 times these days. Grr.
  • Lindy - I hope you are having a pleasant break in Wales. Annoying about having to keep signing in. Is the internet any better this time?
    OG - I hope you have a lovely time with your visitors.
    Dibnlib - I hope your OH’s op goes OK next week and that his eye gets better. That must have been worrying.
    AQ - are you glad of the warmth? Didn’t realise the lawn would need watering so soon.
    I have been to the garden centre with my friend to get the bulbs for my birthday. I got 2 mixed packs of tulips called strawberries and cream. They look lovely in the picture. We will see how they turn out next spring! We moved on to Ness Botanic Gardens where we had a light lunch and an hour’s stroll around. We are both members there and love going just to see what’s new each season. I particularly like the rock garden.
  • Hi all. OG was sorry to hear about J but pleased to see that he may have a job at the local school. Do hope it pans out for him. Schools are strapped for cash, Sue's school isn't taking on any more staff even though it would benefit from say an extra 2 as teaching assistants in case of illness. Present staff jus t have to cope if they are shorthanded.
    Hope you and Dau and family enjoyed your meal.

Lindy, nice to hear that you are in Wales again. Hoping to find a holiday cottage in North Wales next year as I want to visit a particularly childhood place where we had many family holidays. Also Sue hasn't been to Wales yet so it will be nice for her.
    Benn lovely again all day here. Have a good weekend all and keep well.
  • RUSTY That has to be the best birthday gift. Much nicer than a garden centre voucher as your friend was with you.