Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!!

The moon turns full Wednesday night/Thursday morning in the US and UK. This is a special moon. It's called a Blue moon, because it's the second full moon in a single month. It's also called a Supermoon, because it's so close to Earth's orbit. This will be the closest moon of the year. I'd insert a link with more info, but seems like that's not accepted now. 

Everyone have a good week!

• We took a walk next to Padern Lake, which is the water at Llanberis. (Llanberis is the small town which has the rail station for the climb to the top of Mount Snowdon)

This is my OH with Bonnie going off to explore.

• I know I've posted pictures of this particular walk in the past, but thought you might like to see it again. 

• We could hear joyful shrieks from children and young people in canoes on the lake as there is a canoeing school there. But all looked peaceful.

• There is a pond next to the lake, almost completely full of water lilies.

In the past, I have pictured a pair of nesting swans here but now they've gone, for this year.

• As it was a grey day, the water lies were all closed up.

• Lindy - I enjoyed the photos.
    Will reply to all tomorrow but I just wanted to say that I have been outside to look at the full moon. It does seem bigger than usual but, unfortunately, it is behind some light hazy cloud. I will have another look in the night.
  • Then we heard the train which runs alongside the lake, on the far side.

Its a steam train and I love to hear the whistle blow!

• Rusty - off to see the moon - they mentioned it on The Weather report tonight.
  • Memories indeed. Frankly, I can't remember starting the Weekly Chat; I suspect it was a group decision after we decided we were chatting too much on the Loch Garten nest thread. And yes, Diane and I would be glued to the live cam overnight along with Auntie (Finland??) and Wattle and then AQ. . Re old friends, let's not forget dear Margo and the stray cat that (oh-so-slowly) adopted Margo and finally ended up in the house - and Maureen. And Brenda. But so nice when new folks join in.

Lindybird:  Ouch - falling upstairs with arms full sounds awful.  Hope your OH isn't too horribly sore.

Clare:  I'm a firm believer in running the risk of having to apologize rather than ask permission. 

My BiL was texting me this morning and I was whining about how hot it is here (after weather folks keep promising a cool down!). Still, he said 'better than Florida" and I said 'we aren't underwater and we don't have DeSantis as governor so, yes, we're much better off than Florida.' Meanwhile, was watching a documentary last night on the California Delta, which is the area between San Francisco and Sacramento and learned that our governor - Gavin Newsom - nixed a plan to redirect some of the freshwater that Big Agriculture has been slurping up back into the Delta where saltwater is replacing it to the detriment of fish, the wildlife and smaller farms..... If you've seen the movie Chinatown, the practices depicted therein are still very much alive and well. Back then, "they" (Los Angeles developers) pulled all the water from the Owens Valley so LA could grow. The program showed old photos of when the Valley was lush and healthy; now the area is a dustbowl, though apparently the lake is re-emerging somewhat following last winter's rains . I really hope there's a day or reckoning for these people....

OK. It's time to get off my soapbox!

Take care all.