Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I've just read confirmation that Indiana now has wild armadillos. They are increasingly being seen on my local roads and in our forests. These animals are native to the southernmost US states, but have moved much further north in response to climate change. I'd love to see one.

Take care, all.

www.in.gov/.../

• Clare - The JVIC website isn't very helpful - talking about 'further information later' for autumn boosters. I'm waiting for 'further information' as well ...
  • From NHS WEBSITE
    Seasonal COVID-19 vaccine
    You may be able to get a seasonal COVID-19 vaccine in autumn 2023 if you’re at increased risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19. For example, this may be due to a health condition or your age.
  • LINDY Poor Sue. I do hope you managed to reassure her.
  • Out of interest, I had a booster last September and was then given an appointment in April for a further one because I am vulnerable due to the breast cancer. I turned up at 8.30 am as requested. The nurse asked how I was. I said I was well so she said that in her opinion I didn’t need one and sent me away!!! Now I have caught covid and I feel worse than I did last time when I came home from Portugal (what is it about flying and coach trips?) I am hoping I will get a booster in September when I have my flu jab. I will certainly ask for one.
    Lindy - that’s very sad for Sue about the family dog.
    I will try to start a bit of a travelogue tomorrow.
  • Thank you to JillR for the covid information. I've not had time to investigate the latest pronouncements.

Dibnlib - Thanks for your good wishes for Sue. She is terribly upset - she used to look after the dog a lot, when the family were at work. I meant to say yesterday, enjoy your new car! At least these days cars are much more reliable, so we are busy debating ourselves whether to buy another one to "See us out" as they say. My OH is 80 in a few months, and doesn't expect to be driving when he's 90.... My eyesight is going to be a bit iffy as it deteriorates. Ho hum.
  • Rusty, sorry you feel worse this time. :-(
  • Hallo all: Re Covid boosters, word is that the new ones will be available here toward the end of September

Rusty: That's awful for Sue, but really no fault of hers as you say. I hope the family has reassured her too. Meanwhile, sorry you're feeling worse this time round. I'm surprised at the nurse's suggestion though...

Daughter and I moved plants to her new patio this morning, then she ran out of steam while I was itching to do more. Oh well.... Also got a call from OH that they're setting him loose tomorrow, which will work well in that the movers should be done at daughter's place by 11 at the latest.
  • rusty2 said:
    I had a booster last September and was then given an appointment in April for a further one because I am vulnerable due to the breast cancer. I turned up at 8.30 am as requested. The nurse asked how I was. I said I was well so she said that in her opinion I didn’t need one and sent me away!!!

That's appalling.  Is she a PIP assessor on the quiet?

Apparently the government wants the next Covid booster rollout to be complete by the end of December.  Somehow I can't see that happening.  I really want Limpy to be done - he caught Covid just after his second booster last year and we didn't even have to call a doctor.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• RUSTY – Back in 2020 when I was moaning about missing my bus trips, my Doc frowned and simply said “confined space”. I would have insisted on having that covid jab in April or go somewhere else. You won’t get a jab now – not if you’ve had covid or a jab in “the last 6 months”. Please don’t overdo the chores; you should rest lots even if only mild symptoms.

• Voting ends soon in Aussieland’s favourite animal sound. Final 10 (alphabetic & only 2 non-birds):-

• Banjo frog —'bonk bonk'
    • Black cockatoo — 'kee-ow'
    • Boobook — 'book book' or 'mo-poke'
    • Butcherbird — melodic and maniacal
    • Cicadas — 'screeeeeee'
    • Fairywren — high tinkering trills
    • Kookaburra — 'koo-koo-koo-koo-koo-kaa-kaa-kaa'
    • Lyrebird — a famous mimic
    • Magpie — melodious carolling
    • Whipbird — whipcrack followed by 'choo-choo'