Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I've just read confirmation that Indiana now has wild armadillos. They are increasingly being seen on my local roads and in our forests. These animals are native to the southernmost US states, but have moved much further north in response to climate change. I'd love to see one.

Take care, all.

www.in.gov/.../

• Good morning, all. Sad to read of the lovely Michael Parkinson's death - I'll forever remember him for the priceless episode of his show which featured Jimmy Nail, Catherine Zeta Jones and Alice Cooper. What a trio!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Where is everyone?

Well, I've got nothing to say either!
  • I am here OG - still with covid which is like a heavy cold. I got the grass done in stages yesterday so was pleased about that.
  • CLARE Your post was the first I knew of Michael Parkinsons death. He had a show not to be missed. I remember him interviewing Windsor Davies and I can't remember who else (can anyone help) when the 3 of them reminisced on their training days in the military.

OG Erica will have to wait a long time to find out whether the insurance will pay for a robotic leg. Now that the driver has finally admitted guilt the insurers and solicitors will start the process for claim and counter claim!!
  • Unknown said:
    Well, I've got nothing to say either!

Blimey, that's unlike you.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• rusty2 said:
    I am here OG - still with covid which is like a heavy cold. I got the grass done in stages yesterday so was pleased about that.

Well done.  I'm glad your Covid is relatively mild and I hope it goes soon.  We're waiting to hear when the booster jabs will be available as our local surgery has been told nothing.  Our flu jabs are booked - I remain eligible for one despite being under 65 as I'm Limpy's carer.

• Rusty-- Sorry to hear that you've got the dreaded covid. As you feel up to mowing the lawn, I hope its not going to be more than a head cold for you. Lovely pic of Benbecula.

Annette - Your poor OH must wonder what's hit him - it sounded quite sudden. Good that he's getting good care in the hospital. Maybe you need a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way in and out......

OG - Not much happening here either! I'm glad that J is going out and about.

It's bright & sunny here. My OH has put up a sign on the main Allotment Notice Board announcing that there is a thief about!

Poor Sue was on the phone in tears last night, as Harley the dog belonging to her son & his family, died yesterday. As he had been in her care just before he was taken to the vets, very poorly, I'm sure she feels guilty that it's in some way her fault, so I had to reassure her that she'd done everything possible. These things happen: he was 8 years old and had had a series of things wrong with him for most of his life.

Edit: we went to visit her yesterday. She has had some new floors laid and is now ready for the decorators. Unbelievably  it's now a year since she shocked us by saying that she was moving house, and she's been in a muddled ever since! Soon, once the decorators have finished, she can lay new carpets and finally shut the door on workmen.

• Can't remember if I've posted this one.

• Clare - I think I saw an article saying that there wouldn't be more booster jabs - but I may be wrong, and of course, that might not apply to the vulnerable and to carers.
  • Clare - Sad to think of Michael Parkinson. He had been frail for quite a while, I think. My favourite interviews were with the comedians - Billy Connelly was hilarious, and I just heard that he interviewed him 15 times!!

Also the old time film stars -- Fred Astaire, David Niven, and Betty Davies.