MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2023 to end of FEBRUARY 2024

Continued from Manton Bay - July 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya has laid four eggs - Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  38 days later on May 12 @ 08:18 the first chick hatched followed by chick #2 on May 14 @ 06:36 and chick #3 was first seen @ 05:45 on May 17.  Chick #4 hatched on May 18 @ 18:53 and not long after a live fish was delivered to the nest causing havoc and the little chick died the following morning.   On June 24, the chicks were ringed – Blue 3H3(F), Blue 3H4(M) and Blue 3H5(F) and their vitals can found here.   On 3 July @ 09:24 Blue 3H3 fledged followed by Blue 3H5 on 6 July @ 10:23 and Blue 3H4 on 9 July @ 06:12.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

And now the month has come when one by one the chicks, who have been spending their days strengthening their wings and practicing their flying skills readying themselves for the epic journey that lies ahead, will set off south.  But they are well prepared having had the best possible start in life under the care and protection of their fantastic parents, Maya and Blue 33(11).   But until that day comes, let’s enjoy their time with us.

• 33 stopped eating at 11.45 now sat in tree surveying surroundings but no fish calling so he's not moving.
  • Another nice flight from 33 in the bay he seems in a playful mood looking for fish again and chasing off a cormorant.
    Bit distracted now with a Hobby fishing over the reeds and sitting on low T perch - same place as yesterday and where a Marsh Harrier appeared from.
  • In his flight 33 dropped over a field and picked something up and dropped it either on the nest or a close miss - not sure what it was without referring to the footage.
  • Nice to see Maya feeding on her perch again this year as it was repaired over winter. 3H3 and 3H4 are like bookends on the other T perch which is nice to see after last year's shenanigans. As I type one of the chicks has flown to the Hobby perch and gull with Maya on her perch - lot happening.
  • Oh to cap it all I'm told by the Centre there is a Juvenile White Tailed Eagle in the area.
  • Now it's getting silly - both chicks are now on the low T post (Hobby post) - I've never seen them there before - but the Hobby has now gone to the large T post so next should be Rook to Queens Bishop 4.
  • The Hobby is now taking the proverbial - flying up and down the waterfront past the two juveniles - on perch only 3 feet above the water - chasing dragonflies - I think they're baffled. Maya has now come to the low post with the chicks so three of them on there - Maya has the fish and they all leave together back to nest.
    System reset and normality! resumes.
  • Spoke too soon - Hobby had resumed position on his perch but 3H4 who was on large T perch with fish has now gone back to Hobby perch and 3H3 has joined him.
    Maya on her perch 33 in Poplars.
  • I don't know whether it is relevant to post this here, but a MB chick has bred in the Staffordshire/Worcestershire area, to a Welsh female

West Midland Ringing Group reported it on their FB page

Say hello to a very special bird. This is Osprey 5H9, son of 2AMm from Rutland and KA6f from mid Wales. 5H9 is their first juvenile Osprey ringed in the West Midlands region and is likely to represent the first breeding success. Sadly two failed eggs in the nest. Good luck 5H9!
    Ringed under Schedule 1 licence, with Osprey expert

Blue KA6(19)f  is from Clywedog and a chick of Delyth and  Dylan, so 5H9 is Dylan and Delyth’ s first known grand chick.  KA6 may have been one of Delyth's last chicks, but I'm not sure.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• It was reported this morning there were three juveniles in the bay - but not sure if 3H5 was one of them - so still some uncertainty.