LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• 09.09 flat fish! I'm away for a few days (again) so may not be able to post. I'll change the header to this thread to end of February 2024 as per others. I'd hoped they'd have a 2nd brood but it seems notWink

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Unknown said:
    I'd hoped they'd have a 2nd brood but it seems not

We can't understand what went wrong, KORKY, after Asha and new daddy Brodie had done so well on the practice run SmirkConfused

Have a(nuther) lovely holiday!

No PTZ view of fish available, as that cam was still on the tree.  I could give you enhanced sound of the reception committee... but will spare SpecSavers' audiology dept your SOS calls.

• As to be expected with a flounder (they'm tough!), Harry is making slow progress... Sid is getting impatient, he had a flyabout hoping for a change on his return but Harry is still ploughing thru his fish.

• Must sign off for now .Have to do battle with ScottishPower
  • Mistle brings Fish at 1301 good size
    Harry gets it and is pushed off by Sid
  • I owe you all humble apologies. It was Asha who brought in the 18.37 fish yesterday evening, not Brodie. I have amended my post. Looking at Scylla's vid I really ought to have recognised the spotted feathers on her under wing markings. If you agree, Scylla, you may like to change the wording on the vid,

Good to know that Asha/Mistle is bringing in fish to supplement Brodie who I guess is keeping intruders at bay.

2C5/Sid is really quite a competitive youngster. I mustn't dislike him for it. It will stand him in good stead (I hope!) during his migration and first year.

13.48 Sid finally settled down to eating the fish and not squealing over the fish, or flapping at Asha.

13.52 Asha flew from the nest. Both boys called after her.
    13.57 There was a pause from calling and eating, as they watching something in the sky. Sid got back to eating the fish.
    14.12 Harry/2C4 tried to creep closer, but Sid flapped his wings in warning.
    14.16 Harry flew off, leaving Sid with his fish.
    14.18 there is a glitch on the cam. A minute is lost. Harry is calling on the nest. No sign of Sid - did he fly with his tail end?
    An osprey is seen flying right to left and probably landing on the dead tree
    14.25 Harry flew and returned, calling.
    14.27 He flew off again.... LOL and back again.
    14.31 Exhausted by all his calling, Harry lay down on the nest.
    14.33 He is off again
    ENS

Asha is sitting on the dead tree with 2C5/Sid

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    It was Asha who brought in the 18.37 fish

Gosh!  Thank goodness I didn't caption Brodie in the video, it's only the title and that can be altered.  Thanks, SHEILA Kissing heart

Lunch today - no fight over the fish, 2C4 Harry gave it up easily:

• I got the impression there's been quite a lot of activity on both cams but have been labouring over the Hobbys - too tired to check anything now, SYAL xxx

• Aug 7 fish:
    09:09
    13:01 from Asha
    21:06
    21:57