LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• Fish at 13 56 tiddler Sid grabs it
  • Early morning, the 2 sibs were companionable on the same branch:

It's been raining heavily.  I've been wondering if Asha will fish, given Brodie's absence this morning - then...

...a sobering reminder:

Just for the record, some of the little birdies this morning - you'll probably want to skip thru it if you have time or interest to watch at all:

2C4:

FISH !!! !!! !!!

2C5 got it, and flapped 'n flounced around the nest with it, while 2C4 looked crestfallenly (!) on:

• Sadly for 2C4, 2C5 made short work of the fish:

• 16.00 Both boys on the nest and Asha on the cam post I think
  • 16:21 FISH !!! !!! !!!

Well, half, if that, of a chunky one:

Harry got it !!!  And if you don't believe me, see the look on Sid's face Grin

• FISH !!! !!! !!!

(I'm very engaged with PF4, will do the necessary as and when - but it looks the best fish of the day.)

• scylla said:
    it looks the best fish of the day

Quite a slight offering, it turned out - and I don't have the nest view at all.  Sid got it.

G'night Blush

• I have done an update, but I think it's been covered nicely, so it's not necessary to post.

There have been three fish.  Sid needless to say got two of them, Harry one.  Asha nil as far as we know.  

13.56, 16, 21 and 16.47

13.45 The brothers share the old dead tree!

#1 fish claimed by Sid

Harry waits patiently

15.37     The cam pans the bog, the VC in view

16.21     #2 Fish  They both start calling loudly, Asha joined in.  She dropped to the nest flew off,

Brodie landed, with #2 fish.  In the confusion, Harry claimed another small fish.  Both are mantling.

16.25     Harry had trouble balancing and eating the fish.  It took a while to get into the flesh.

16.47     #3 Fish   A slightly larger one which Sid claimed.  Harry left whatever was left of his – it might have been nothing!  Asha can be heard calling from the cam perch.  All quiet while Sid tucks into his fish.

On chat:  5:06 PM  Fraser Cormack  Must have caught the fish 300meter downstream of the Boat of Garten bridge   apparently Fraser ringed our boys.

17.09     Sid has finished his fish and is calling for more.  Harry remains on the nest.

17.12     Sid flew off.  Harry watched him.

17.13     No one is on the dead tree.  Perhaps this is the view for tonight.

17.43     Harry is lying down on the nest, quietly.  I have no idea where Sid and Asha are now.  Asha may still be on the perch.

Both boys are on the nest.  Sid is on the rim calling, and Harry is lying down.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Good to see the boys have been fed today, 3 times. What a racket when the last one came in, my oh my, sore ears or what.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    What a racket when the last one came in, my oh my, sore ears or what.

Agree Catlady. I've had the feed on for the last 2 hours but I've decided I've had enough!!