Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 July 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPERMOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 1 August, in the UK and the US. Then, on 30 August, a full Blue moon will occur (the second full moon in a month). Both are supermoons (perigean moons, which are full moons that happen at or near the exact time when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, so they appear larger and brighter). The August Blue moon will be the closest of the year!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, joyful week. Love to all.

• I would have loved to have seen Freddie Mercury. What a character, and what a talent!
    (And We Will Rock You!)

Hope your bird feeder wasn't too damaged, Rusty. I described in my earlier post (lost) that we've had a huge number of butterflies in the garden due to the flowering plants. I saved two more that were trapped inside yesterday

Interesting log of your trip - I love the thatched hides! How great to see a spoonbill.
  • After you have “bared your souls”, so must I confess to my list of favourite instruments. At the top, Cello, followed closely by Organ. Then Clarinet, Piano, Violin, Guitar (acoustic). 

I did not think of the Drum, even though Ravel’s Bolero would be one of my favourite music. I first heard it performed at a Spanish Dance ensemble in my 20s. There was a line of dancers across the stage. First one, danced, then two, then. . . as the music intensified, more dancers joined in, and more and with more elaborate moves. . . until the whole line was dancing. Stunning.

I love (via YouTube) Alondra de la Parra conducting Marquez’ Danzon No 2. She dances as she conducts.

I first heard Shostakovich’s “Leningrad” while driving to visit my father and it always reminds me of him. Then for tingles down the spine, Silk Road by Kitaro. Oh dear, what have I started. . .

• Cello - remembering Jacqueline du Pre and the Elgar .....
  • Heather: If I could give Jacqueline du Pre/Cello more than one 'like' I would. I saw the movie and liked it, although I gather her sister was outraged.

AQ: I remember the timpani drums - I think from the New World Symphony - but I'm not sure having just Googled my way through various YouTube performances of the four movements. It features pretty heavily in the first and I remember sitting behind them in the cheap seats when the London Philharmonic played at Watford Town Hall (back in the 1950s!) and being almost blown out of my seat by their sudden entry into the piece. Oh my, never heard of Alondra de la Parra, but just watched a clip and does she ever dance with the music. I could never understand those conductors who conduct a deeply moving piece of music standing almost rigid in front of an orchestra and just making jerky movements with their arms. Still, from a BBC program that invited celebrities to conduct famous pieces, I gather more emotive moves do not a great conductor make. Oh dear, really should start the day..... :-)

(But really, what about Carmina Burana for something that will knock your socks off!!)

• Annette - the house in Wales in the film about Jacqueline du Pre was not far from here. It belonged to a colleague of mine and his wife. The film company paid for them to stay in a hotel for the duration. They got a lot of money for the use of their home.

I do think her recording of the Elgar is still the best. I like Carmina Burana too.

I popped to see a friend this morning and I have got my ironing done this afternoon.

Part 2 of my birding trip.

We spent most of our time at places along the North Norfolk coast. The furthest we went was just past Cromer to see the Bee Eaters. We went in the opposite direction to Snettisham to see and hear a beautiful turtle dove. We lamented the fact that so many of them are shot on their migration as they pass over Spain and France.

We did venture inland to look for hedgerow birds. I was delighted with all the fields of poppies.

What we also liked was all the hares. We don’t see them in North Wales.

We also walked on Kelling Heath to look for Dartford Warblers. We succeeded too thanks to our guide. I liked the wild heathland with the heather.

• rusty2 said:
    I like Carmina Burana too.

That's a wonderful piece of music.  I'll forever associate it with Old Spice, Excalibur (the film) and Ozzy Osbourne (who uses it to open his shows).

rusty2 said:
    We also walked on Kelling Heath to look for Dartford Warblers. We succeeded too thanks to our guide.

Lovely little birds, aren't they?  They are near the beach at Minsmere, and also on Dunwich Heath.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Carmina Burana - yes! Great to listen to, even better to sing! Jacqueline du Pre playing Elgar Cello Concerto - yes! (see - twentieth century - told you there were exceptions!). Beethoven - Brahms - Bach - why do so many of my 'top ten' start with a B, I wonder? I have just invented a new game - the sort I play when I can't sleep. Go through the alphabet and find a composer for each letter. Just quickly I did fine until I got to I ... Over the years I've played this game with boys' names, girls' names, vegetables, fruit, authors, animals ... all sorts of categories. So it seems the next challenge will be composers. My sister and I used to 'compete' (she was as bad a sleeper as I am ...) - she would have come up with a very different list of composers from mine.
  • Carmina Burana - yes! Great to listen to, even better to sing! Jacqueline du Pre playing Elgar Cello Concerto - yes! (see - twentieth century - told you there were exceptions!). Beethoven - Brahms - Bach - why do so many of my 'top ten' start with a B, I wonder? I have just invented a new game - the sort I play when I can't sleep. Go through the alphabet and find a composer for each letter. Just quickly I did fine until I got to I ... Over the years I've played this game with boys' names, girls' names, vegetables, fruit, authors, animals ... all sorts of categories. So it seems the next challenge will be composers. My sister and I used to 'compete' (she was as bad a sleeper as I am ...) - she would have come up with a very different list of composers from mine.
  • Oops - sorry - I thought I'd pressed the button twice ...
  • Last two days on here seem to have been mostly about instruments and music. Must add my vote to Carmina Burana - great to hear but also great to take part in! (many years ago)

Just had two days of dry weather - but only 16 degrees. Enjoyed some gardening time Tuesday, but today was back to normal chaos. J decided he was ill - worse than usual. Eventually got him to GP who has increased one of his meds to try to help him sleep at night and stay awake in the daytime. I hope this will lift his moods too - this is not a happy house to be in right now and doesn't help me to feel any better when he keeps deciding he has various of my symptoms but not all at the same time. OH is trying to check he has a proper idea of what he should take and when - I keep mine in alphebetical order and seem to be very organised! He has now lost some - but it might have been an empty box - can't check till they turn up in his heap on his bed!

Physio tomorrow - can hardly move today, so I hope I can find some adrenalin in the morning!

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, so we had been going to have lunch out today, but of course that had to be cancelled so we had a sandwich at home - not even a nice one. Don't know when today's can be moved to as something else is planned for next Wednesday (our preferred day to go out). Had a card from Dau#2 up north (arrived three weeks ago so I had to find it!) but nothing from her ladyship over the border. One of the GDs is away in Madagascar with Guiding - for three weeks I think.