LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY 2023

Continued from June 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie had a record breaking fish day on the 15th June, when he brought ELEVEN of them to the nest for NC0 and the chicks to dine on - amazing!

As the two chicks grew, it was clearly obvious - with the difference in size - that #1 was a female and #2 a male, this being confirmed at their ringing on the 22nd June. 

NC0 began fishing for the first time this season on the 30th June, with TWO successful catches in one day. Hopefully, both she and Laddie will continue to bring plenty of fish for their growing youngsters to enjoy in a now, harmonious manner.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43) Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32) Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39) Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatched: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11) Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19) *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(f) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(m) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis*

Fledged:  9.7.23 - PF4(f) 57 days old (10:07)   13.7.23 - PF5(m) 58 days old (09:57)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March/April,  May,  June

July Blogs and Updates (published dates)

8.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 15 & 16

10.7.23 SWT video >>> Young Osprey Flies For The First Time

14.7.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Sibling Takes To The Skies

14.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Translocations: To move or not to move?

22.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 17 & 18

• A very brave (or foolish) crow joined PF4 while she was eating at 16:37

It picked up a morsel while PF4 was oblivious to its presence

It moved slightly further onto the nest

Uh-oh

PF4 was down to the fish tail at 17:19

At 17:23 She was calling for fish!

Down to the limb at 17:25

PF4 continued to make calls

It wasn't long until 'the' crow came back and began searching for morsels to take for itself - PF4 was still on the limb and gave some annoyance calls!

It picked up some dropped pieces

PF4's calls were a little more pressing and the crow flew off

Back again picking up morsels at 17:36 

PF4 gave more annoyance calls

Here comes trouble! PF4's patience had run out!

PF4, bottom left

©SWT/LotL

• 19:33 A crow has been digging around on the nest for the past 10 minutes or so. I assume this is when PF4 had headed off from the limb (she had gone onto that at 18:24)

PF4 on the birch

©SWT/LotL

• 20:40 A lovely evening at Lowes. PF4 has been fish calling

©SWT/LotL

• PF4 has not been back to the nest or perch this evening. She has spent the majority of her time in the birch area, whether that be on different branches, having a quick flight over the Loch or heading off around the corner. She has also been heard fish calling.

I'd imagine this was her on the birch at 22:27, prior to night cam coming on

©SWT/LotL

• Unknown said:
    Fish from Laddie @1030.
    Unknown said:
    No fuss or problems this time and Laddie flies straight off.

Just to prove it can be done - what a dad! Grinning

I was hoping to do PF4+corvid but it's fallen between 2 sessions.  I noticed that the corvid had about 20 minutes all to itself later Grinning

IMAGICAT

• Morning Scylla and All,

A fish from Laddie to PF4 at 9:23 - this was a 'chaotic' delivery!!!

She grabbed his talons, fish on the nest

She was tugging

PF4 turned...

...and attacked Laddie

In trying to get away from her, he fell to the side

She went for him again as he attempted to right himself

Laddie tried to fly off

She had her talons gripped on Laddie's leg. PF4 attempted to stay on the nest

She got dragged over the edge

PF4 could be heard calling before landing back on the nest (about 10 seconds later) to claim the headless fish

©SWT/LotL

• Morning Sandra
    That was a pretty bad handover.
    She grabbed his foot, then somehow they got their feet tangled up.and Laddie dragged her off the nest when he eventually managed to fly off.

Richard B

• Hi Richard, (I've added pics to my post above)
    It was awful, she's so vicious!
    I think Laddie should just drop the fish from height and let her deal with it! Hopefully, no harm done to his leg.

Thinking of PF5 at the moment, Fingers crossed  he's being fed...

• PF4 had finished her breakfish at 10:15

10:48 She's calling for fish

©SWT/LotL

• Morning All - thanks Sandra for all the updates, captures - Richard too.

PF4's actions are awful and actually getting worse. Laddie is at risk here!!

Likewise I hope PF5 is being fed somehow off the nest. We do know that it does happen as was witnessed by LAM at Manton Bay.

I think Laddie will be relieved when the penny drops and she sets off south.