LOCH GARTEN - JULY 2023

I start this thread with a heavy heart, as Brodie hasn't been seen at all on Friday 30th June. The last fish delivered to the nest was at 21.11 on 28 June, over 48 hours ago. Brodie was last sighted at 09.10 hours on 29 June, over 36 hours ago.

Chick 1 hatched 'early morning' on the 4 June and chick 2 overnight on 6 June. One egg didn't hatch (maybe number 1?). There were lots of intruders during the month of June, including KL5, and last year's male Axel on the weekend of 17/18th.  Brodie has disappeared before for a couple of days, and no fish were delivered over the first weekend after hatching on 10/11th June so maybe we should keep the faith and cross all eyes, toes and fingers that Brodie will come good, recover from whatever keeps him away from his nest and chicks, and deliver a stonking fish first thing on 1 July.

Link to June 2023 thread

• Only two fish so far today:  05:23  and  09:40.

Asha was on the nest at 14.00 with two sleeping chicks

17.01 Asha returned with a licheny stick

17.07 Asha suddenly shot off the nest.  She didn't call.

17.19 Sid was near the rim, flapping.  When I looked back on the PTZ I thought he was on the nest perch, but it was an illusion.  He was on a large stick at the back of the nest!

17.21 Sid spotted something in the sky, and was unsure whether to mantle or not.  It was Brodie! 

17.22  #3 FISH   He landed with a flounder which Harry/1C4/#2 claimed.  Harry looked skyward and appeared to mantle, and Sid sunk to the floor.  Brodie took no notice!

17.23 Brodie flew off.  No sign of Asha.  Harry and Brodie look skyward, Harry mantling over his fish and Sid laying down.

17.24 Harry tries to eat the fish

17.28  Harry makes inroads

17.37 they both become aware of something above and lower, playing dead.

17.39  Asha returned.  The youngsters suddenly get animated!

Asha stays on the rim, watching, while Sid calls

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 20.49 Fourth fish of the day. Sprat really

(c) RSPB Loch Garten 

• Thank you Korky. At least four fish in theory means one and a third fish each! They won't starve.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• check out the perfectly synchronized wing stretch at 22:01:35.

• Canuck said:
    check out the perfectly synchronized wing stretch at 22:01:35.

It fell between 2 sessions on the nest cam - so here it was on the PTZ, and I think it works OK so it's repeated twice:

31 July

There have been some flapping sessions and Asha has taken a break and the mist has descended big time - this isn't the best of the morning so far, but there should be some clucks 'n chirps here:

I'm probably away now, SYAL :)))

IMAGICAT

• 2C4 enjoying a leap - not a high one, but it felt good:

For the first time since the last Windows Update... dang downloader just crashed, so all other cams besides this one, which I've only recently finalised a session on, have lost hours and hours.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

For the first time since the last Windows Update... dang downloader just crashed, so all other cams besides this one, which I've only recently finalised a session on, have lost hours and hours.

Hi Scilla
    You are using Jaksta right?
    Do you split the files? That way if it crashes you'll only lose the last hour max.
  • Hello Everyone..
    Concerning the youtube chat disappearing, which is a real pain for everyone.
    For two other sites (seaside and port lincoln) I've programmed something to save the chat and display it on the observationboard.
    I've just finished a similar thing for Loch Garten.
    If you go to ospreycam.net/.../ it will show the chat for the past 24 hours
    (along with the youtube video and live chat, but more as a reference)

Hope it will help some of you keeping track of things.
    For those especially:

The red lines indicate when there is a time mentioned in the chat. These are displayed separately too.

Enjoy!
  • Chat suggests a sprat delivered this morning. No idea when

EDIT. Some time between 09.17 and 09.22, when Asha can be seen feeding. For some reason playback skips during this time!

• All the LG cams are in big buffer.

Bart molenaar said:
    Do you split the files? That way if it crashes you'll only lose the last hour max.

No, I've never split the files - purely because I don't fancy having tons more individual files to clutter me up.  I know it's good thinking tho, and I'll try it when I next put it on Monitor but cant at the mo because Jaksta needs a lot of hours to recover.

Are you using it?  If so, which version, please?  I'm still on 2022 because 2023 wouldn't install (froze on installation) and the company has gone silent.

IMAGICAT