Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 June 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week.

I coughed loudly tonight near the window and a big Barred Owl hooted at me. I  don't know whether I  disturbed her or she was just answering me. LOL We are predicted to get heavy rain tomorrow, so the air should improve here.

Love to all.

• We grow sweet peas in a very deep tub. They seem to do better than when we used to put them in the ground. I tie them to the bamboo sticks we use as soon as possible after they grow to a few inches tall, and thereafter I physically put the little tendrils around the supports whenever I can. We feed them twice a week with liquid feed. An old gentleman once told me to pick the flowers as much as possible, as then more will grow. All this results in mixed performance: some years they're magnificent, some years not too good! Don't know why.
  • Just going to bed & have been reading AQs interesting article about the possums. Seems they are similar to a lot of endangered species here -- they need help from us. I was pleased this week to hear that our native water voles are appearing more often and in more places where they're not expected to be.
  • I talk to the owls
    They sit & listen to me
    Like the red tailed hawks
    They're used to me, you see.

I go about my day
    With nature as a surround
    If you meet them as equals
    They become friends soon,
    I've found.

If the natural world
    Is part of your life
    Everything makes sense -
    You can banish the strife.

So, enjoy your birds
    And cherish your critters
    They mean so much more
    Than false flash & glitters.
  • After a quiet start, the words on here seem to have exploded during my day off Wednesday!

Gardening here Tuesday was in the evening – OH cleared a nasty little patch of weeds by the shed – I sat and watched. A good trip out yesterday – and got all the shopping we had listed. Too hot to eat much so we shared a coronation chicken sandwich – with salad. A catch-up day indoors today and I have decided not to accompany E-E and J to Caledonia Park M&S outlet for new underwear this afternoon.

LINDA – we did hit 30 degrees more than once, but the breeze is marginally cooler today. Bedtime seems to be the worst – heat seems to gather when we meet up for our supper drink – despite fans, humidifiers etc.

ANNETTE – both your Orange Menace and our Buffoon are still dominating news everywhere – we always said those two would be trouble! Have heard Boris’s excuses described this morning as “Trumpisms” when he tries to say that what clearly was wasn’t what it seemed! A new word in the dictionary? Sorry about the twisted ankle – take care when you are out again with Pearl.

RUSTY – we are enjoying our fresh mini-cucumbers from the greenhouse – and tomatoes look promising now. We have three water butts!

PAT – I am sure you are enjoying Wisley – I hope weather will be kind to you! I read your cool drink as a “cool dunk”! – must slow down and look properly!

DIBNLIB – lots of disappointing spaces in the garden centres – I think weather has caused surprises for them as well as in our gardens.

Well, I’m being collected to the dining room for lunch now, so must stop.
  • Oh boo. I see Glenda Jackson has died. What a life she had!
  • OG - You are quite right, Wisley was lovely. It was hot, but not unbearable - a very pleasant breeze all day, and the occasional cloud, which helped. We spent most of our time walking in woodland areas and only a bit in unshady places. Lovely spot in partial shade in the rose garden for our picnic lunch, surrounded by wonderful smells. We walked a long way! The only downside was the cafe. Absolute chaos! My friend had to order and collect her tea at one place and then stand in a queue to pay! I only drink tap water, and that was far more accessible. Poor selection of cakes - we shared a slice of carrot cake, but really anywhere without coffee and walnut is a tragedy for both of us. Very expensive, completely disorganised, and a real let-down. I was the driver (I usually am!) Getting to Wisley was fine, but getting out again was a nightmare! Major roadworks on the M25 at the same time as trying to improve the entrance to Wisley ... not good. We have decided that Wisley is lovely - but Wakehurst, very much closer, is probably just as good and we will go there instead in future.

Sad to hear Glenda Jackson has died. I switched the radio on and Judi Dench was talking - for a dreadful moment I thought it was she who had died ... mind you, as she said, so many of them are of a similar age and we have to accept that nobody lives for ever.

Hope everyone is coping with the heat. Apparently we are expecting rain on Sunday ...
  • I don't think we ever went to Wisley, now I think about it. But Wakehurst is lovely - also full of memories as I remember taking my Auntie there when we had trips south.. Sorry the cafe at Wisley was so disappointing - I suppose RHS would say hospitality is not their main business! 30 degrees here again at times again!
  • OG I did ask at Simpsons what the problem was.......no nicotiana or even trialing lobelia etc. I was told that last year they were over supplied and so cut back way too much this year!!!