Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 June 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!

The moon turns full Saturday night or very early Sunday morning in the UK and US. Sorry, AQ, I didn't look up Australia. This is the Strawberry Moon, the Mead Moon, or the Honey Moon, among other names.

It was 94F today here on my patch. That's 34C.

Here's info about this moon and other celestial/astrononomical events this month.

Everyone have a wonderful early summer week. Winter for AQ. Love to all!

solarsystem.nasa.gov/.../

• RUSTY. You must have had a wonderful holiday. Your photos were lovely and fascinating. The cathedral, library, and castle were interesting, and the ceilings were spectacular.

As usual, I'm different from everyone on this thread. My favorite picture was the Druidic stone circle. What does Eisteddfod mean, please? I also liked the Mumbles Lighthouse. I'm crazy about lighthouses. Rhosilli Bay was stunning. Thanks for your posts.

RUSTY and AQ: To answer your questions: We usually begin having days of high temperatures in June. We typically experience more of them in July and August. And, yes, we normally have very high humidity here.

HARELADY and GARDENBIRDER: Hope you both are well and enjoying the summer.

Hello to everyone.
  • Bonnie had a good day -- at least, she thought so! This is the state of her legs & tail after she decided to wade through a black ditch. We were by the sea, but she was fascinated by the thought of what might be in the ditch.

• My OH put her in the sea to try & wash it off.

Later, he had to use doggy shampoo & the hosepipe to clean her more thoroughly. She looked drowned afterwards! Thankfully, it's been a sunny warm afternoon for her to dry off.

• DIANE : You might have to Google Eisteddfod! Its an annual festival held in Wales to celebrate their culture. They have poetry readings and various kinds of singing, all traditional. They have prizes for the best performances. Most of it is in the Welsh language. There are druids and other officials. I think it lasts for about a week.  I can't explain it better, but it was something quite ancient which was revived and is still held to this day.

OG - You're brave, taking on the magazine job again! I hope you enjoy it this time. (And that your efforts are appreciated)

• OG - Welcome back to the church magazine editorship. I started our weekly newsletter at the start of the first lockdown, thinking it would be for a few months. Now, three and a half years later ... still churning it out every Thursday. I wonder if we should consider sharing some of our resources - what do you think? Although most of the stuff is 'parochial;, I do glean articles from far and wide. And we have a lovely lady who writes weekly 'nature notes' - that takes up a couple of pages!

I am so delighted 'no mow May' is over. My windows look out over lovely lawns - but they have been left unmown for about three weeks. Today I left it looking like a meadow - and when I came home a few hours later it was a lawn again. Hooray! Buttercups and long grass are lovely in the right place - but I'm very glad to have the short grass back.

Sorry to have been a bit 'absent' lately. Hopefully this manic period, which seems never-ending, will calm down a bit soon. I keep asking people what retirement is supposed to be like ... 'cos I don't seem to have discovered it yet!
  • I hate to tell you, but I've been retired almost 18 years and am still in the manic phase! Soon after retiring I was asked to take on (voluntary) management of the planting and maintenance in our local pocket park. Fortunately I have a good team of volunteers to help.
  • Well, yesterday evening, I wrote quite a lengthy paragraph about my Eisteddfod experiences. It wouldn’t post. I had copied it so I tried to post the copy too. No luck. As I said once before, it went “all pale” and wouldn’t move. So, I a, trying again all fingers crossed. I will post this bit first as a trial.
  • So. That seemed to work.
    Firstly, thank you Lindy for giving a great explanation of an Eisteddfod. Diane, Wikipedia has a much lengthier and more detailed one.
    The Eisteddfod is a huge thing. It moves around Wales each year. One year in South Wales, then mid Wales then here in North Wales. The local communities (especially the Welsh speaking ones) are involved in fundraising and general organising for a good couple of years in advance. It is great for all the hotels, and guest houses in the area plus the various eateries and local businesses too because people travel from all over Wales and beyond to attend for the whole week. Several huge fields are required. The main field is call the Maes (pronounced “mice”) The Eisteddfod has an enormous pink marquee which travels around the venues. They call it the pavilion. Also many other tents and marquees are set up. There are craft stalls, food outlets, organisation stands (like RSPB I believe) Many impromptu performances take place on the fields - dancing, singing, recitations etc. Everything is in Welsh. Many very high standard competitions are held. Singing, recitation, poetry and prose writing. The bard is chaired and the main participants wear Druidic robes! It’s all very serious,
    I went once when it was held in this area. It was vast and I was somewhat out of my depth given that everything was in Welsh and I don’t speak it (I am from Yorkshire!) I attended the evening concert and when I came out it was pitch dark and I couldn’t find where, on a field, I had parked my car!!!! It was before the days when we had phones with torches!!! I had wondered why people had tied ballons or ribbons to their aerials!!! It was a bit scary for a while but I found my dark coloured car in the dark eventually!!! Obvious there were plenty people around.
  • OG - I hope that your chair was repaired properly, yesterday.
  • Another Aussie bird story. Not a parrot I have heard of, but it is of another state!