LLYN BRENIG - JUNE 2023

Link to first page opener - here

Link to May 2023 - here

Recap
:-

LJ2 returned 31 March 2023

LM6 returned 4 April 2023

Egg No. 1 laid 20 April - Hatched 27 May (37 days)

Egg No. 2 laid 23 April - Hatched 29 May (36 days)

Egg No. 3 laid 26 April - Hatched 1 June  (37 days)

LM6                   LJ2

So far so good! The first 2 chicks are doing well, the 3rd just hatched this morning. 

• WendyBartter said:
    Thanks Glider for clarification.

You’re welcome Wendy. I appreciated you letting me know so I was able to correct it.

It’s good that you are on the Friends FB page so you’ll hear more than I do and I’m grateful for any news that you read. Blush

• scylla said:

Movie of the 3 fish deliveries - I cropped the evening whopper and slomoed its arrival, that was a super fish showing that LJ2 is absolutely back on form

https://youtu.be/60gj5epqpw8

Thanks for the fabulous video Scylla and for the slo-mo of the large 3rd fish. Looking back, seeing bob #3 not getting up quickly to the first fish, at the time, I just put it down to it being tired as a newborn. However, you captured the last time we saw it alive when it got a wee bite at the 3rd feed. Thank you Purple heart

• Brenig project have confirmed on FB that one of the chicks has died.
  • What very sad news. It is always gut wrenching when a chick doesn't make it and I really feel for everyone, especially GLIDER who is so dedicated following this family.

Thanks for reporting AG
  • Thanks AG for reporting the news of the 3rd chick and yes Karen, it is so sad, (just like at Manton) but thankfully we still have the 2 beautiful healthy chicks. It could’ve been a lot worse if LJ2 hadn’t recovered when he did.
  • The Brenig FB post from earlier this morning reported by AG.

• After the first feed of the day finished, at 08.50 LM6 left for a comfort break, soon returning with a large clump of fresh moss.

She then stood beside her chicks and had a preening session.

After finishing preening, at 09.19, LM6 recovered the fish which was under the moss she’d just dropped.

She had a few bites herself then took the fish for a walk around the nest before settling at the preferred position for feeding the chicks.

The feed was around 10 minutes then LM6 initially shaded the chicks before setting down with them again.

• 09.54 LJ2 takes the leftover fish for his share.

10.29 LJ2 returns with the remains of the fish

I think he walks better over the nest with a fish underfoot! 

LM6 takes the fish for another feed. Bob #1 is up straight away, Bob #2 still lying down.

LJ2 blocks the view of the feed before he flies off.

After a minute or so, Bob #2 joins the feed.

LM6 stops the feed when both chicks refuse any more.

• 10.48 LJ2 collects the left over fish and takes it away to eat.

12.53 LM6 interrupted her preening session to start fish calling when she saw LJ2 approaching.

LJ2 stops for a rest in the sun. LM6 resumes preening but intermittently reminding LJ2 that they need a new fish.

The chicks are sleeping, shaded by LM6.

• Some snaps of LJ2 today. He’s spent many hours on the preening perch.

Ambushed by a crow

13.30 LJ2 is still there now.