LLYN BRENIG - JUNE 2023

Link to first page opener - here

Link to May 2023 - here

Recap
:-

LJ2 returned 31 March 2023

LM6 returned 4 April 2023

Egg No. 1 laid 20 April - Hatched 27 May (37 days)

Egg No. 2 laid 23 April - Hatched 29 May (36 days)

Egg No. 3 laid 26 April - Hatched 1 June  (37 days)

LM6                   LJ2

So far so good! The first 2 chicks are doing well, the 3rd just hatched this morning. 

• 20.39 LM6 gets up to get the fish for another feed. LJ2 flies in just after.

Again, the two older bobs got some, particularly #1.  Bob #3 was offered a couple of morsels, don’t know if it managed to eat either. 
    It lay down a lot or was facing the wrong way. 

#2 bob got more after #1 turned away.

LM6 had a comfort break at the end of the feed. She quickly returned.

• 20.51 LJ2 flies onto the nest and takes the remainder of the fish.

• LJ2 returns with the fish end at 21.26

LM6 eagerly takes it

The feed lasts around 5 minutes. Again, #1 and #2 eating well, #3 took one piece then fell down to rest again. It’s been a big day for the wee soul. 

LJ2 retired to the perch.

LM6 cuddling the chicks in for the night.

• 22.12 LJ2 flies onto the nest to collect the fish tail.

He takes it to the perch to eat.

• Movie of the 3 fish deliveries - I cropped the evening whopper and slomoed its arrival, that was a super fish showing that LJ2 is absolutely back on form Hugging

IMAGICAT

• Morning Scylla, Glider and All

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I've just read on the Glaslyn chat that little bob #3 has passed away... Cry

• Sandra P said:

Morning Scylla, Glider and All

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I've just read on the Glaslyn chat that little bob #3 has passed away... 

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Morning Sandra, thanks for letting us know. That is really sad, but I’m not too surprised I guess. It fed quite well at one feed but was lying down a lot and missing out on other feeds or just getting a morsel. I hope it just slept away peacefully. RIP little bob 3. This wasn’t your time. Purple heart

• I’m wondering if chick 3 had a difficult hatching. With it being the 3rd egg, I’d expected it to hatch at 36 days. Maybe it struggled for a day to get out and was weaker to begin with. There was a huge size difference between the first two and the third chick so it was always going to be tough. Purple heart
  • Saturday 3 June Purple heart

The rest of today’s proceedings.

LJ2 stayed on the perch all night and flew to the nest at 04.58

LJ2 stayed for a minute or 2 then left.

05.04 LM6 flew off for a very quick comfort break. Zoom of the chicks.

06.38 LM6 was suddenly alert. Did she see LJ2 ? She started calling and got up then had another quick comfort break.

Zoom into the chicks, #1 and #2 moving, difficult so see #3.Looks like it’s tiny head to the left of  #1 at the front.

07.33 LJ2 flies to the nest empty taloned. LM6 starts asking for fish.

LJ2 stays for 2 or 3 minutes then flies off again. He returns at 08.23 with a fine live fish.

bobs #1 and #2 are up straight away calling to be fed.

These two chicks look strong and healthy and are feeding well. It’s so good to see LJ2 back to himself. Blush

This is so reminiscent of last year when on the day of bob #3 hatching, a chick died. (Presumably #3, then this was questionable)

However, the two remaining chicks, Olwen and Gelert turned into beautiful young ospreys and went onto successfully fledge. Two hearts

All going well, it will be the same for these two little bobs. Two hearts

• scylla said:
    Glider said:
    I’m trying to rush through the updates

On the previous page I was already thinking "My goodness, this must take a-g-e-s, isn't Glider wonderful?!"

I'm going to try to do a video of today's fishes, as otherwise YouTubers who don't follow us here or have Facebook a/cs will be left dangling on LJ2 being unwell.

We've got too many nests on cams - well, too many to give due attention to.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It does take ages Scylla with no clock to help me (as I’m sure Sandra will second!)

However, I was just so relieved with the good news, I wanted to cover it best I could.

Yes, there are so many nest cams now, it’s difficult keeping an eye on all of them!