Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 May 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful early summer week! And winter for AQ!

I was standing in my front yard today, and a big shadow fell on me and grew larger. R.T. Hawk and his mate flew over me in circles until they were quite low and close to me. R.T. looked me in the eyes. I hadn't seen them in quite a while, and they were probably confirming that it was me. They both looked healthy. I was glad to see them. 

Love to all.

• Here I am!! Feel as if I've been gone for 3 days!!

After being unable to post yesterday, having completely lost one long message & then running out of time, we drove to Wales in the afternoon & on arrival found that the Internet was unavailable. We had a quiet evening as both of us were tired, then this morning I complained to the management that we were cut off from the world. "Oh!" he said. "A lot of people have told me that." "By the way, we have a new system and you need a new password ........."

I tried not to hit him but could feel my palms itching. Why the heck weren't they telling anyone!? I despair of their inefficiency.

We have been out for a nice panini lunch (mine was brie & cranberry) and now are sunning ourselves, as its a beautiful day here.

Glad the drama over the debt ceiling thing has now been averted. Governments around the world seem to be in turmoil. I was reading yesterday about Germany where they're trying to force heat pumps on everyone & the public are in rebellion, ordering gas boilers quickly before the new legislation begins next year.
  • Our son had to cope without WiFi during their recent visit, when they could probably have been helped by being able to pinpoint car parks etc But Management don't live on Site and often don't appear until mid morning.... Grrr...

One of our neighbours  - the place is heaving with baby bunnies!!

• I have withdrawn from the garden due to my hay fever! I really began to cough and sneeze violently. I was only feeding the birds and tying up my sweet peas!!! This morning I went to my local pharmacy and was given a different anti histamine! So far, it is not making much difference. I sympathise OG. Also, what a shock re your chair! Hopefully, the cable can be fixed but it seems a long time to wait until Monday.

So here is a quick report on the last day and a half of my holiday. I sent a photo of St David’s which is where we went last Thursday morning. Pat, as you approach the cathedral from the city (more like a village really but called a city as it has a cathedral) you are above it. Most unusually the church is built in a natural valley unlike most grand cathedrals which are built on high ground. It is constructed from purple sandstone quarried locally. The quarry closed down but recently, when repairs were needed, they reopened the quarry and obtained more stone plus enough for much future restoration if required.

It really is a magnificent sight.

This is a closer view when we got nearer to it. 
    it has wonderful wooden ceilings inside. This one is over the nave

and this one over the altar.

• As the photos came out big for some reason, I have started a new post.

St David’s shrine has been recently restored.

The bishops palace is in ruins now but it is huge. It must have been very magnificent.

On the way home the next day we stopped for lunch at the Elan Valley visitors centre. The Elan Valley is made up of several dams constructed to take water to Birmingham - something the citizens of Wales were not happy with at the time. It is now a place for leisure activities and a nature reserve. 

A small Druidic circle to commemorate an Eisteddfod I think and the dam wall in the distance. 

• OG: So good to see you posting on here regularly (although we all post as often as circumstances/moods take us). Nice that J is enjoying his current position; any chance it might continue or that he could find something similar? And didn't you have trouble with that chair a while back? Hope they can fix it soon.

Lindybird: How frustrating re the wifi. No possibility of a notice to all residents advising of the change and telling who to call for new Password? Duh. Brie and cranberries? Yum. Hope the weather is kind for your stay. Say Hi to the bunnies.

Rusty: Gesundheit! Some plants set me off sneezing right away; can never seem to ID which particular one it might be (I think they switch on/off just to confuse us). The ceilings in that cathedral are spectacular. I"m assuming the church was built at a time when the village must've been much larger and maybe a commercial center for the surrounding area. Not sure about being in such proximity to a damn.... they make me nervous.

Off to organize the world! (Don't hold your breath it'll work.)

• Lindy - I had somehow missed your post about going to the caravan and the problems with the wi fi. How frustrating. I hope you are enjoying this wonderful weather.
    I am bereft!!! I have just finished all 764 pages of Atlas - the Story of Pa Salt - the last in the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley. This last book was written by her son because she sadly died. It was excellent and rounded up all the strands of the various stories in a most satisfying way. It only came out just before I went on holiday so I bought it and started it when I got back. I am lending it a to a friend to read so that we can then discuss it. Other friends are not as far on on the series.
    Goodness knows what I am going to read next!!! I will go back to some detective books I think.
    I have had to go out this evening and do some watering. Everywhere is so dry.
  • Rusty - I so enjoyed your photos. I love ceilings, and always look up when entering an old building - sometimes it's the best bit!! I can see that you had a wonderful trip. :-)
  • My son and I both use one of those sprays which you put into your nose for hay-fever symptoms. It works best for me - anti histamines just send me to sleep!
  • I've got everything crossed now, that Annette can succesfully organise the world. It certainly needs it!
  • Rusty - I am a fellow fan of Lucinda Riley and am looking forward to reading the 'final' tale of Pa Salt. I have read - nay, devoured - all the others in the series, having read them as they were published. A friend ordered the final book pre publication and is now reading it - I am next on the list! Sadly, she is a very slow reader ...

Your pictures of St David's are wonderful. Were you lying on the floor to get the ceilings? I have done that in several places, much to other people's amusement (and friends' embarrassment!) The problem is, when you do that, you have several other cameras thrust at you - 'While you're down there ...'! Your pictures have encouraged me to get to St David's soon.