Mike - RIP

This thread has been started to allow people within the forum to pay their respects to Mike Simmonds, who sadly passed away. 

Mike passed away on the 13th of May at 08.15 with his wife Sylvia and his daughter Susie at his side. 

When the forum page has been fixed, appropriate tributes will be added by Scylla and others. 

• RIP mike, a man who will me missed by many.

Several people have been concerned about Mike, not having heard anything from him recently,

Richard B

• Sincere thanks to Fergus for "being there" in our hour of need, as I cannot start a new thread, or use Rich Formatting, Edit or Quote. I can hear Mike guffawing at me.

I received the sad news of Mike's death from his widow, Sylvia, by email, she asked that I inform you all as she would be informing personal friends.

I will add to this thread with a more visual tribute... when possible.

Mike will be sorely missed for so many reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT Friday, 19 May

Here is our Mike - I found the picture via google when he'd been absent for longer than usual and I knew he'd been ill, it was published in a local newspaper when he was battling Barclays Bank about broken interest rate promises (they didn't stand a chance!).

I sent the pic to Mike "please confirm this is you" and he did "where the heck did you find that?!", and he sent me this one in his birder gear:

Mike lost his wife, Lynn ("Linnie"), a couple of years ago, then chance brought him in contact with a girlfriend from his youth, Sylvia, and here he is with her and his daughter Susie and husband:

Sylvia lives near Rutland, she tells me that they planned to live part-time in her home (in the Osprey season, I bet!) and part-time in Mike's, and she will continue to spend time down south with Susie and her family.

Mike had had a difficult time caring for Lynn thru her decline, when he was not in good health himself - what a blessing the fulfillment that came afterwards.

We miss you, Mike Purple heart

IMAGICAT

• Oh my goodness, this has come as quite a shock. What a lovely man he was, always stepping in and contacting the right people when the Lowes cam would go off - sure enough, the LS would always come back on, pronto! Mike will be very much sorely missed.

Condolences to Mike's widow Sylvia, his daughter and all who knew him. RIP Mike.

Thank you Fergus for creating this thread and to you too Scylla for sharing this very sad news.
  • Desperately sad news. Mike was such an amazing support to me when I began volunteering on the Poole translocation, sharing his Rutland memories. He often phoned me to chat about all things osprey, and I will miss him very much.
  • Oh no. Another fantastic and supportive member of this group. So sorry to read this
  • RIP, Mike the Bloke. Glad I got to meet you in person.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Shocked and saddened reading this news and so soon after Patily who we know were good friends.

Mike, a long standing member of this community, was a fantastic guy always at hand and keen to help forum members sharing his knowledge and memories. He will be sorely missed.

Condolences to his family and friends.
  • Just so sad at this news, always around & helping wherever he could, a very familiar name from when I first joined this forum back in 2012!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• On my. I've been dreading this news, knowing he was so poorly.I am so very saddened that another long standing member of the forum has passed. Mike was just such a stalwart member and so knowledgeable; always so willing to share his extensive knowledge.

I wish I could say, like Clare, that I had met Mike in person. My condolences to Sylvia and Mike's daughter and to all those who like us, will miss him so very much.

Thank you Fergus for this thread and Scylla for letting me know how things stood with Mike,
  • My sincere condolences to all of Mike's family and friends. Rest in peace.