Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 May 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Today was an historic day in the UK.

I've been listening to the House Wrens singing their joyful songs as they build their nests. They have improved my mood and outlook, and it finally feels like spring here!

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• Morning all: Yesterday went for long walk (although probably not that long by Rusty's standards), then to gym, then to first meeting of neighborhood gardening group. Missed the Coronation concert but I assume it will be shown on our public tv station here soon or I can find it online. Did see snippet of the drone show - fascinating but also rather sobering when you think how that might be applied by less benign actors.

Heather: Hope your get-up-and-go returns soon - you know what they say "Use it or lose it." :-)
  • HEATHER When the warmer weather comes I am sure you will sit in the garden and read a book!!
  • Looks as if some messages which were here yesterday have disappeared! OG put a long update, but it is no longer here. We can't say much now because her PC appears to have viruses so we are using EE's laptop. haven't had time to find out what is going on because cleaners came - they opted out of the second bank holiday.
    So just letting you know we are okay.
  • Thanks for keeping us up to date, OG & EE!! Look after yourselves and I hope the pc problems get sorted.

• We've had a lot of rain.

My OH got 90% through his book, then exclaimed and nearly threw it across the room -- not his usual behaviour, I can assure you! He says that two chapters are missing from it. I bought it on a charity stall. A rotten trick if someone knew that it was not complete. He later retrieved it from the bin and read the last chapter, but was very annoyed as it spoilt it for him.
  • Heather - we can't all be enthusiastic about things all of the time. Don't feel guilty if you have a couple of days doing nothing much. You've earned it, you know!
  • LINDA – Can you check if your local library has a copy of that book? Or would your OH not bother now?

We had our flu jabs late yesterday pm. We celebrated the occasion with fish & chips for tea. Wow! Fish is expensive now. Driving home just after 5.30 pm sunset was my first “night” driving with new glasses. BTW except for a slightly sore arm last eve, we have had no reaction at all to the jab. Now, as far as I know, we are fully up-to-date with every jab possible!!! My eye check was today and eye pressure good, so I am back to 6-monthly appts.

A little while ago, gathering together bills to pay tomorrow, I wandered into other room to find OH on the floor. In the same spot as twice before. He refuses a stick or walker. <sigh>

• AQ - sorry to hear about your OH. It must be very difficult for you. Glad your eyes are behaving though and that you were able to drive at night.
    Lindy - missing chapters would have caused me some kind of reaction to I am sure. I thought charity shops were supposed to go through books and jigsaw puzzles. Maybe not.
    OG and EE good to hear that you are doing OK. I hope you can get OG’s computer virus free. How annoying to lose a long post. Thanks for letting us know.
    I went to see my friend in the Assisted Living place yesterday and updated her iPad. She is getting an electric armchair which will help her as her sofa, although it is on blocks, doesn’t give her a lot of support and is difficult to get on and off. She uses a small electric wheelchair to get round her flat and the complex.
    I am going out with my nature group today to a bluebell wood. It is a lovely place for a walk. We will see what other wild flowers are appearing too, There is a small river running through it where I have seen a dipper before now, so I will take my binoculars.
  • AQ What a shame your OH can't be persuaded to use a stick or walker. My Father in Law was the same and had accidents both at home and in the town.

OG Good to hear from you
  • Rusty, I hope you see a dipper. Nice that you can help your friend who is struggling with her tech.

AQ - Sorry your OH is falling more often. A worry for you. At least you're both well jabbed up, now.

My OHs book came from a new stall which appeared at our local supermarket, inviting donations of books and then asking for just a £1 per book for sale. It's for our local First Responders Group. It soon caught on, & we had several good books from it & I donated some light humour which we'd had as Christmas presents in the past. So they're not "vetted" for quality or content. I did notice that now it's been going for a while there is often a residue of unwanted titles ("50 Shades of Grey!" "Dealing with a Difficult Toddler!").

Drier now, and perhaps warmer weather on the horizon for next weekend.