RECAP

Flora HK0 arrived 30 March 2023

Harry (unringed) arrived 4 April 2023

EGG No. 1 laid 15 April

EGG No. 2 laid 18 April

EGG No. 3 laid 21 April

First expected hatch date around 22 May

LINK TO APRIL 2023

• 10.43 Harry is on the perch, Flora on the eggs. She is reminding Harry that she didn’t have a fish yesterday and is still hungry today.

• 12.23 Flora sees Harry coming and starts fish calling.

However as she sees he is not carrying a fish, she leaves the nest before he lands. (Harry circled)

Here comes Harry

and he brings a stick.

Harry resumes incubation.

• Quite a soggy afternoon

The rain seems to have stopped around 15.00

Flora starts fish calling

She calls intermittently until she leaves the nest at 15.31

Harry flies onto the nest a minute later

Flora can then be seen chasing a Corvid below the nest, or being chased! 

The chasing continues, Flora doing Harry’s usual duties!

Exercise over, Flora returns to the nest.

• 15.53 Flora is on the nest, Harry joins her intruder chipping and mantling.

The intruder is in the area for a few minutes and flies over the nest a couple of times

Not that a great image - don’t think there any rings?

Probably a male though with it being Harry giving chase. It left soon after. 

• 18.28 Harry was on the nest with Flora for 3 minutes and she fish called the whole time.

• Glider said:

Not that a great image - don’t think there any rings?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Glider,

I'm possibly 'clutching at straws' here but could there be a blue darvic on its left leg? (I've cropped and auto-corrected the zoomed in 2nd pic)

• Oh thanks Sandra, maybe there is something. That was the closest the bird flew over the nest so I couldn’t get better. Aw, imagine if it was LR2? Heart eyes
  • 20.26 Finally, a fish for Flora.

She took off so fast, it looks like her wings have melted! haha 

She’ll have a good meal with that. 

• Glider said:
    Oh thanks Sandra, maybe there is something. That was the closest the bird flew over the nest so I couldn’t get better. Aw, imagine if it was LR2?

Lol, I thought exactly the same!

• You got me thinking Sandra so I went back over the footage again. There was a moment at the beginning when Harry left the nest to give chase and both birds’ wingtips flashed past the corner of the camera. I’ve looked at that again at 0.25 speed and found that there was actually a leg too and there’s a tiny flash of blue on the hidden leg.

I’ve replayed it about a dozen times and snapped and snapped taking as many screenshots as I could but I wasn’t able to reveal any more. Such a shame. He might be back here tomorrow or visit you at The Lowes! We’ll keep an eye out anyway.