LOCH GARTEN - May 2023

Link to March/April 2023

After a start/stoppy kinda season, we now have settled couple "URM" (until LG give him a name) and Asha, or Mistle as some would prefer.

Asha is the proud parent of 2 eggs, the father of which being dubious but probably URM, as we hardly saw NN2 (for whom we wish all the best elsewhere) be accepted by Asha.

URM and Asha are similarly marked but distinguishable by certain differences which I may slot in here but I've lost them for the time being.

Asha (R) is looking rather small in this snap because she's crestfallen due to no supper:

Because Asha did so much work on the nest before she had a partner, there hasn't been a lot for URM to do - but he has quite frequently brought in nest material - and his fish provisions have been regular and willingly handed over.  He's a promising Osprey dad so far.

• Asha back with a nice chunk of fish with skin dangling:

There's the fish:

Goodnight Asha (she stood up for some adjustments so was able to get most of her unblocked by the stick):

• Oh Billy, what great news. Thank you

• Every picture tells a story     Slight smile       Grinning         thank you Scylla

• 06 May

On-nest constitutional on this misty morning:

First flyabout:

Back with thin stick/s:

Brodie arrived and (sheepishly?) took away the overnight fish - so I don't suppose there'll be another one for a while:

Oh!  The fish returns Smirk Maybe Brodie only took it so's to have something to deliver to his beloved on a too-misty-for-fishing morning Grinning

Mistle brought in a small stick and promptly wrested the fish from Brodie:

And flew off with it, and returned with a long stick - only snapped from a distance to avoid multi-wings breaking off:

Oh well, better make an effort to do justice to the stick:

Asha placed the stick across the front of the nest and took over, Brodie flew.

She flew off again and this is from when Brodie took over until he left (there's been activity since but that will have to wait):

• Despairing update!

Asha has been in 'n out like a fiddler's elbow, as they say, while Brodie incubates while being thoroughy unsettled by her disruptions.  Well, some hours ago I started doing a video of the afternoon's activities but didn't realise that it was going to be almost never-ending and I've got myself completely bogged down, worried sick about "must show everything but mustn't do a too-long vid"...

For now, I'll just say that there's been no new fish and it's hardly surprising.

• Oh dear Scylla ! please chill, just breathe - your Osprey wing captures are simply wonderful.. All your captures should be in a gallery, thank you so much for them and the   video you did produce for our  delight was just that  -  a delight and funny .

• Unknown said:
    the   video you did produce

You're up late, for you! Astonished

Thanks for reminding me - I'd forgotten that she was lke it in the morning as well.

Here's the afternoon, up to a point - I can't tell you how bogged down I got.  Maybe it's not a complete waste of time & space, as we're still trying to get to know this partnership, and Brodie, I feel sure, is a first-time dad-to-be... somebody might want to watch.

• Morning all, From chat Fish at 5.39am
  • and Asha was so fidgety this morning  8 ish and she kept giving little squeaks and standing up so that i thought she might be about  to lay a  4th egg. Eeek, heaven forbid  that on  such an inexperienced dad and even Asha !

Thanks Trevor for the  fish news, always appreciated 

• trevor l said:
    Morning all, From chat Fish at 5.39am

Asha had been passing the time with the bark:

There are some FFs in here that I haven't captioned - I expect it's quite obvious.

Later...there was quite a lot of material in this: