LOCH GARTEN - May 2023

Link to March/April 2023

After a start/stoppy kinda season, we now have settled couple "URM" (until LG give him a name) and Asha, or Mistle as some would prefer.

Asha is the proud parent of 2 eggs, the father of which being dubious but probably URM, as we hardly saw NN2 (for whom we wish all the best elsewhere) be accepted by Asha.

URM and Asha are similarly marked but distinguishable by certain differences which I may slot in here but I've lost them for the time being.

Asha (R) is looking rather small in this snap because she's crestfallen due to no supper:

Because Asha did so much work on the nest before she had a partner, there hasn't been a lot for URM to do - but he has quite frequently brought in nest material - and his fish provisions have been regular and willingly handed over.  He's a promising Osprey dad so far.

• This is probably old news but I didn't know about this camera location

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Intruder landed, was flapped off.

I've just started a vid of the changeovers this morning, I'll come to it... some time today Stuck out tongue winking eye

• I like the name of Brodie good celtic name
  • I really like the sound of the name 'Brodie'.
    Thank you Korky for snipping the new view!! I noticed it at the end of the vid. It's very wobbly, but a good view to see incubating parents and growing chicks.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• billy r said:
    I like the name of Brodie good celtic name

I decided internally to wait for LG VC - look what happened with Mistle - almost all of us so upset, still thinking of Asha as Mistle.

When Bynack was so-named I hated it with a passion - but came to love it thru the dear bird himself (RIP).

And I've just wasted an hour googling and searching the Community for Moffalot and Wottadin and not being able to find what I need!  That's all your fault, BILLY Imp

Stuck out tongue winking eye

• Unknown said:

This is probably old news but I didn't know about this camera location

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well it's new news to me, KORKY, so where did you find it, please? Astonished

EDIT - I should say - I expect it's the PTZ but where are they transmitting it?

• billy r said:
    I like the name of Brodie good celtic name

I thought this was a new suggestion from you, Billy, because KORKY's announcement had been BOPS'd so I missed it.  Oh well, Brodie it is - obviously they're not taking it from the same continent as Asha Confused

• Talking of names, I may rename Asha "Bessie Bossy-bloomers" Grin

• Sorry to appear to be in spamming mode today - if I could get my act together it could all go in one post !!!

• Brodie, I like it. I found the following for your info. Let's hope he does not live up to what it means in slang, Fall, Failure!!

The interchangeable names Brody and Brodie are of Scottish origin, although the meaning of the name is uncertain. The Scottish surname Brodie dates back to the 14th century and was probably derived from a place name (i.e., the lands of Brodie) in an area of northeast Scotland around where the Brodie Castle sits in Moray. It’s not clear if the clan Brodie took their name from the lands, or if the lands were named after them. The name is thought to come from either the Gaelic “brothaigh” meaning ‘rampart’ or “brothach” meaning ‘muddy place.’ The name could also be derived from the Old Irish “broth” meaning ‘ditch, mire.’ Given all these definitions, it seems that the clan was more likely named after the lands. There is also some speculation that the name Brodie is derived from the Pictish (like the Celtic name Tristan). The Picts were a (now-obsolete) Celtic tribe that emerged in Scotland around the time of the Gaels. In this instance the name would have originated from Bridei, a name borne by several pre-10th century Pictish kings. Brodie could also be considered a pet form of Broderick.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.