LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• Karen W said:
    Thanks Sandra for all the updates.

Brilliant to see Laddie back on form :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it is, Karen! You're very welcome Slight smile

There was another fish delivery at 11:39 - NC0 had been shouting and flapping her wings seconds beforehand - an unseen intruder was around

Laddie gave a series of short chips on landing

NC0 was more interested in taking hold of the fish

NC0 flapped her wings; Laddie continued to chip

A feed commenced. Only one chick was up initially...

The other soon joined in - Laddie had calmed down and was relaxed, threat over

NC0 was calling for more fish after that one had been eaten. The chicks appeared to be fully satisfied

Laddie inconveniently stood at the front edge of the nest! lol

Laddie flew off form the nest at 12:18

After adjusting the clump, NC0 settled to brood

©SWT/LotL

• Checking through scroll back, the rest of the afternoon has been 'normal' with NC0 having a couple of comfort breaks, standing away on the edge of the nest to give the chicks some fresh air as well as brooding.

The cam zoomed in at 16:06 while NC0 was fish calling. #1 was showing some dominance

NC0 preening a little while after

She settled to brood at 16:17

The cam panned out at 16:25

©SWT/LotL

• The cam zoomed in again for a short while at 16:31 -  Awww! Heart eyes

NC0 went for a comfort break at 16:44

17:30 NC0 currently quiet and brooding those two precious chicks

©SWT/LotL

• OFF TOPIC

I had taken my phone (portable landline) to the bathroom with me cos of "just in case", and sure enough it rang - it was a lady asking to speak to Ms M*** , Me "who wants to speak to her?" - She "Kate from the Scottish Wildlife Trust" - Me "I can't speak at the moment" -  She "Can I call you back at a later time" - Me "What do you want to speak about?" - Click, cut off.

They wouldn't be cold-calling for donations, would they?  Why else might they call?

IMAGICAT

• Oooh, that's strange, Scylla!

• 17:35 NC0 fish calling. Is Laddie around?
  • No fish was forthcoming, Laddie didn't appear on the nest and NC0 stopped calling

At 18:22 NC0 went on a comfort break - the cam zoomed in just as she was about to leave

#2 on the left

Oh dear, #2 was the instigator of a squabble

#1 retaliated

#2 went down onto its side but only very briefly

NC0 returned at 18:25

She settle to brood

NC0 flew off again 5 minutes later at 18:30 - she went to the birch

She returned from the birch at 18:36

©SWT/LotL

• 20:31 Oh my word, Laddie, what a huge, headless fish!!!

Laddie had to flap/jump over NC0 to land on the main part of the nest before heading off

#1 warned #2. NC0 attempted to alter her position and, luckily, kept a firm grip the fish!

A feed commenced

NC0 concentrated on feeding #1 initially but maybe only because it was at the front.

Laddie made a flight behind the nest before landing at 20:38

NC0 struggled with the fish skin

#2 taking a piece of fish from #1's beak

#2 turned away, it hadn't had as many bites as #1 who was the main one being fed

#2 did turn back round again, after a short while, for NC0 to continue feeding it

At 20:58, Laddie wandered over to the front of the nest to block the view!

Laddie shifted himself slightly at 21:00, NC0 was still feeding #2

A misplaced wing feather

Laddie turned around. #1 looks very fully cropped!

NC0 stopped feeding and walked away from the fish at 21:02 to tidy up

Laddie, noticing she had finished with the fish, quickly walked around the edge of the nest to retrieve it

And off he went for his supper at 21:03

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie didn't return to the nest.

At 22:02, NC0 headed off for a quick comfort break

She was back in under a minute

NC0 settled to brood

Sleeping at 22:48

©SWT/LotL

• Morning All,
    Laddie delivered another corker of a headless fish at 8:12 - cam zoomed in

#1 on the left

©SWT/LotL