LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• Morning Sandra and all and thanks Sandra for all the captures.

Always think two chicks is enough here but looking at the egg it does look like a little pip.

I can't remember the nest but one egg didn't hatch despite a wee pip and they removed it at ringing and found that there was a double shell - just too much for the wee thing to break. Quite sad.
  • Afternoon Karen, you're welcome!

Aww, how sad was that. I wonder how common that is?

Nothing much to report from scroll back. 

9:32 NC0 was preening on the edge of the nest. The cam zoomed in briefly before NC0 covered the chicks to brood

12:21 NC0 with a lovely wing stretch while taking a break from brooding. #1 had shown a little bit of dominance to #2 during this time

13:09 NC0 at present, she's very quiet

I haven't seen Laddie at the nest.

BBL

©SWT/LotL

• There was a small, whole fish delivery from Laddie at 13:35 (Pics edited in)

Laaddie blocked the first part of the feed, NC0 was doing a great job making sure the chicks had bites

Laddie left the nest at 13:37

I noticed that NC0 concentrated on feeding #2 more than #1 initially

She offered '2 a large piece...uh-oh, up it went!

And back down again with the piece still in its beak

#2 managed to roll itself upright, still holding onto the piece of fish

#2 dropped the fish, turned and NC0 fed it some more

NC0 swallowed the fish tail

She tidied up and offered  #1 some more fish (it did have more bites than I've shown)

More tidying up!

NC0 moved to the left side of the nest

Cam panned out - She called for more fish

Then headed off on a quick comfort break

The chicks were very well behaved!

NC0 back to brooding

©SWT/LotL

• Oh here we go again - my RF isn't working! I'll add pics to my post above when things are 'normal'!
  • Sandra P said:
    Oh here we go again - my RF isn't working! I'll add pics to my post above when things are 'normal'!

Pleased to say that mine still is ok ... but have no pics to post!  Am finding forum a bit slow & inclined to freeze plus message saying 'whoops' have to reload!  Definitely a gremlin on here methinks!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Laddie brought a huge clump of grass to the nest at 14:07. He stayed for 11 minutes

Off he went

Laddie veered left, out of cam view

15:37 Cam zoomed in on NC0 while she was brooding. The grass will probably block any view of the chicks!

©SWT/LotL

• Oh well done, Laddie - a whole, whopper of a fish at 17:21 

He left NC0 to deal with the live fish before she commenced the feed

©SWT/LotL

• *Laddie was back on the nest chipping and scanning the sky; NC0 continued with the feed, making her high-pitched squeals while doing so

He flew off at 17:30

NC0 carried on with feeding the chicks, and herself, until she took it off with her on a comfort break at 17:40, returning with it less than a minute later.

NC0 discarded the fish on the back of the nest before settling to brood

Cam zoomed in

NC0 had only settled for a matter of seconds when saw a loose piece of fish skin, picked it up and took it over the right side of the nest

Where she proceeded to eat it

She finally went back to brooding the two chicks

©SWT/LotL

• *Laddie was chipping at the nest (re post above) at 17:28
  • At 17:45, shortly after NC0 had settled on the fully satisfied chicks, Laddie arrived and took the remaining fish off for his meal (of which there was a fair bit!). NC0 made her feelings known!

©SWT/LotL

©SWT/LotL