LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• At 18:24, Laddie brought the fish back. He could be seen flying behind the nest to make his approach to the nest 

Cam zoomed in. NC0 commenced another feed but only the tops of the chicks' heads could be seen.

Laddie, sporting a good-sized crop, left the nest at 18:26

Still showing some marks from his injury

Both chicks were fed well during this session. NC0 swallowed the fish tail at 18:36

She then flew off for a comfort break

The chicks were well behaved again!

NC0 returned under a minute later and could be heard making contact calls prior to landing

She settled down to brood

©SWT/LotL

• 18:43 Laddie appeared and began chipping

He mantled

Looked skyward

Continued to chip

He flew off at 18:45 - no threat seen

*Laddie arrived at the nest, no fish. NC0 shouting for more fish - Laddie pretending he can't hear her! lol

NC0 rose from the chicks, still calling

Aww, chick looking to see what its mum was shouting for! lol

**He flew off at 20:56

NC0 settled to brood

©SWT/LotL

• *He arrived at 20:21, **flew off at 20:26 (apologies!)

• All pics now edited in from my posts today.

Laddie didn't return to the nest for the rest of the evening (as far as I could tell on scroll back)

00:30 NC0 sleeping tucked in

©SWT/LotL

• I'm still getting the Unexpected msg, am definitely going to cry soon :'(

.I 'promised' to do a video of #2 being lifted up by NC0 during feeding - this was the first instance that I posted smugly before the forum devil targeted me ;-D

https://youtu.be/tjwyRRtrwnw
    You should find 3 more Osplet#2 lift-offs in here - it covers the 17th and 18th, with a bit of side-tracking including NC0 with a long beakful and Laddie with an intrusive clump:

https://youtu.be/G7rCvmDoNQY

IMAGICAT

• Morning All,
    Amazing vids, Scylla, thank you so much for your endeavours!

Laddie brought a headless fish to the nest at 5:26, blood from it (I assume) was on his tummy area

©SWT/LotL

• The feed lasted for 13 or so minutes, both chicks must have been satisfied as the top of their heads could not be seen above the clump!

NC0 discarded the fish on the left side and began a tidy up of the nest cup

She settled to brood at 5:40 - the fish close to her right side

Laddie to the nest at 5:47, collected the fish and took it off - more breakfish for him!

He was back to the nest at 6:54 and spent time resting with his little family. He did make an attempt to clean his messy area at some point - I think a bath should do it

NC0 called for more fish before he headed off at 7:32

NC0 at present, 8:13

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• I love the way they've arranged that mossy clump as if deliberately shielding the chicks from the paparazzi!
  • Hi cmcd,

Lol, if not that then Laddie standing on the front edge of the nest blocking our view too!

10:39 Another headless fish delivery from Laddie

Both chicks up and a feed commenced

Doesn't Laddie look proud here?

The feed lasted for around 15 minutes (including tidying up) and the fish had all gone.

NC0 tidying up and offered tidbits that she had found

NC0, still calling for more fish, left for a comfort break

She came back, still demanding more fish

Laddie headed off at 10:58

NC0 settled to brood shortly afterwards

I'll do another catch up a bit later. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks Sandra for all the updates.

Brilliant to see Laddie back on form :-)