LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• Sandra and Richard,
    Thanks both for the heads up re the blog. Successfully found. I wonder why it's not coming up on the Trust's page.
    And I wonder what the truth is about illicit "aiding". No point in pushing that though. We're just all glad that so far, all is now well.
  • You're very welcome, cmcd! :)
  • What a whopper it was too, Jill! Well done, Laddie!

Feed still in progress at 16:52

©SWT/LotL

• This is NC0's wing stretch a few hours before the fish delivery, then the big event but just the delivery followed immediately by Laddie's entrapment and escape:

https://youtu.be/ca9dwgoOZIk
  • PS - I did try cropping that for a closer view but it became very poor quality, even with all sorts of "sophisticated" filters, like sharpen and smoother.
  • Thank you, Scylla!!

Part way through the feed, NC0 picked up #2 as it was taking a bite of the fish that had been offered

It fell onto #1 

#1 got up

#2 finally got up after about three minutes

Laddie arrived at 16:57 - NC0 was very vocal (short high-pitched squeaks), probably telling him she hadn't finished!

#2 had just a had a small bite here

Laddie left at 16:59 knowing he wasn't going to get any of this meal for now

After having a couple more bites for herself, NC0 flew off with the fish

She returned to the nest with the fish, thank goodness!

NC0 continued to have a couple of bites for herself

I'll continue on another post after I've had my dinner. BBS

©SWT/LotL

• Cont'd... 

NC0 moved the fish over to the far right of the nest, the wind was really picking up.

She slipped towards the nest cup with the fish,

NC0 dragged it out, walked round to the front edge where she discarded the fish

She settled to brood, fish to her right

She wasn't settled for long when she rose and dragged the fish to the left edge of the nest

She took a couple of bites but did make short contact calls

She released her grip of the fish and settled to brood at 17:10

Fish on the left

Laddie appeared a minute later

He saw the fish and pulled it out from underneath NC0

NC0 nattered, Laddie made some short contact calls in reply

He pulled again to make sure he had all of the fish

And flew off with it

©SWT/LotL

• 17:54 Laddie returned with the fish

NC0 commenced a feed - #2 at the front

Laddie moved to the front, left edge of the nest as the feed continued

And then moved further over to his left. Thanks Laddie, block our view why don't you! lol

A swan flapped along the inlet

Then, after making a couple of contact calls, left the nest at 18:11

No sooner had he left, NC0 headed towards the nest cup, feed over! lol  Plenty of the fish still remained

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie came back to the nest at 18:43 to collect the fish. NC0 was quite vocal!

©SWT/LotL