Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 April 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Wednesday night or Thursday morning in the US/UK. Sorry, AQ, I didn't look up Australia.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Everything has turned green here, and everyone is taking wildflower tours and foraging for wild mushrooms. Hunting the fields and woodlands for the treasured and tasty wild morel mushrooms is a much anticipated rite of spring here. They sell for over $25 per pound and they taste divine.

Love to all. Sending healing and good energy to OG.

• LINDY - just get one of the stool thingys. Independence is a great thing :-)
  • Morning all:

AQ:  Oh that must be so distressing for your OH - and you too.  My OH took a tumble last year, had to call the (tall, dark and handsome - a silver lining to every cloud!) young men from the Fire Department for a Lift Assist.  Had to laugh at "hold the book closer?" suggestion, but clearly I should have called the city when I couldn't read road signs and asked them to replace them all with large-print signs.  Lovely that you can finally go on your stained-glass tour.  Re French tour of Town Hall, Auntie Google hints at French arrival in 1700s, but colonial aspirations failed to materialize...?

Rusty: I guess golf isn't the kind of sport where you build a lot of body heat (jog in place in between shots maybe?)

Lindybird:  We bring our bird feeder in every night now following rat problem three years ago.  They're still around, but aren't using the back fence as a highway to the feeder hung in the bushes.  My questions/comments are eminently forgettable, so no worries.  :-))

Heather:  Oh no.  Everything collects in corners!  I get a fright when we're doing yoga floor exercises and I happen to look under the TV table.  Yikes.   Have you Googled 'cleaning devices for tight spaces'?  There must be something out there.  Otherwise, occasionally hire grandchild/someone young and/or agile to do the job?  Any exercises that could help with getting up?

• AQ Sorry to hear your OH has problems
  • ANNETTE - not sure about exercises but what I need is a reality check ! My brother who is a few years younger than I am, told me just now,that he can't get up from kneeling without having something to hold on to ! Neither of us are overweight so .....
  • RUSTY – Our state’s schools have always had a strong education in French language. Also SA could have been French not British! In 1802 Matthew Flinders on the English ship “Investigatorwas exploring Aussieland’s coast from the west, while Nicolas Baudin, captain of the French ship ”Le Geographe was doing the same from the east. They met near present-day Victor Harbor; Flinders later named this location Encounter Bay. They exchanged maps and dotted along our coast are French names - Fleurieu Peninsula, Cape Rabelais (named for a satirist). Cape Dombey (for a naturalist), Cape Buffon (botanist), Lacepede Bay (naturalist), Rivoli Bay and many more.

HEATHER – I have 2 step stools (aka garden stool thingy); one inside and another for garden. I sit on a stool to clean corners and to do weeding. I see you plan to do same. I used them to lever OH up from his fall. Yes, he has Parkinsons and he is slowly declining. Such is life. For better for worse and all that.

ANNETTE – There was great rivalry between the two nations but the Brits got in first by off-loading convicts to eastern coast and somehow managed to snatch the whole continent. The French had other colonies – French Caledonia, in Pacific, Reunion in Indian Ocean come to mind.

• AQ; Meanwhile, the natives watched as foreigners fought over their land - as happened in so many places. Oh my.
  • Good morning. The sun is out, here. But its still chilly and we still have the heating set to warm up the house before we get up in the mornings.

Interesting history lesson about the French influence, AQ - - like a lot of Brits my only knowledge of Australia has been lifted from books and TV, so we only know the more dramatic, English version of events.

Sorry your OH has deteriorated. That's not easy for you, having to cope.

We have upset some of our relatives by having a low key celebration of our Anniversary recently, we kept it quiet and so it passed some people by. We did not want a major fuss nor any expensive presents when money is so tight for many. Ho hum.
  • Heather - the stool sounds like a good solution. You sound to be busy.
    AQ - that paragraph about the French influence in SA is really interesting. I never knew all that. The place names illustrate it well don’t they? I have heard of those French colonies you mention. Thank you.
    Touch wood - the extraction site is behaving itself and I am persevering with the salt water mouth washes. I played 18 holes of golf yesterday in dry weather!!! Hooray!!! I came 3rd in my division which is incredible considering my score. Other people were obviously even worse than me!!!! It was very enjoyable though. I played with 2 lovely ladies and had a lot of fun.
    Today I am going birdwatching locally with the ladies group. Naturally we will go for lunch afterwards.
    I am still thinking of OG and EE. I do hope they are managing.
  • Lunch with interstate friends. They were late (they chose the time), miffed when I said no to hugs (I am covid wary). I had a Panini chèvre (goats cheese, bacon, walnuts, honey & rocket). Others had Dutch pancakes with variations of cheese & bacon. No sign of partial eclipse as it was overcast. I hardly need tea but have thawed one of my pre-cooked lamb casseroles. Lawn man changed day but didn’t turn up.