Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 March 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a serene, peaceful week.

My only news is that the male Eastern Kingbird arrived this evening, completing his migration all the way from South America. He is very early this year. Some of you may remember the year the Kingbirds got into my garage and nested there, wildly attacking me every time I sought my lawn mower. Lol They are bold, brave, and extremely aggressive birds.

Tonight, he landed briefly on my porch window screen and gave me a long look, then he flew around the house to his old nest site. Over the last 3 or 4 years, the male and I have established a detente. They nest in a big fallen tree in my back garden, and I leave them alone. Lol These days, his aggression is mild and more ceremonial than dangerous. Lol I'm very glad he made it back!

Enjoy your week, all.

• Happy Birthday OG. I cant match Lindy’s flower but do hope you have a good day.
    Lindy - of course, you can’t take dogs to RSPB places. Silly me for forgetting. Try Aber Distillery just past Llanfairfechan. They have outdoor seating and I can highly recommend the Bara Brith!!!!
    Annette -- did I send congratulations to your granddaughter. I can’t remember!!!
    AQ - those Stobie poles are unique. Can’t say they are very elegant though!!!!
    I have been out in the drizzle moving pots around. The ones near the house which had “gone over” were annoying me. They are now at the bottom of the garden and have been replaced with my geraniums which I have decided can go outside.
    I am now off to get changed because I am going out to lunch with my former colleagues.
  • Morning all:

Just managed to inadvertently delete what I'd written....

AQ;  I was reading about the Stobie Polls and thought Why hasn't anyone turned this into an art project, so was pleased to see they had.  It reminded me of those gorgeous painted silos you shared a while back.

OG:  In the event Diane is correct, hope you had a Happy Birthday.

Diane:  Any news on the internet debacle?

Rusty:  Such a social butterfly!  :-))

• Thinking of bjane - there's currently a tornado warning in Cedar Rapids -  and Diane, who looks like she might be in the path of some very strong winds....

• Oh dear -- bjane and Diane -- hang on in there, literally! Seriously, hope you will both be OK.

This afternoon, I tidied up and found the paper bag that my OHs sister had given him his birthday present in. As I folded it for future use, I looked inside --- there was her birthday card, given to him 2 days ago, on his birthday!! <sigh>
  • bjane: I hope you and your home are okay. Thinking of you tonight.

ANNETTE: Yup, the wind is howling, and I'm under a warning for high winds, large hail, storms, and a possible tornado after 9:00. Thanks for your post.

Hello to everyone.
  • Happy Birthday OG.

This week’s “Cut the Waste” in our newspaper suggests making leftover Easter eggs into Rocky Road slice. “It’s not Easter yet, we should not have started munching Easter eggs yet”, she cries.

If it weren’t for H...y and T...p and their shenanigans overseas, our local newspapers & TV screens would be blank!

I have a bus trip tomorrow, through One Tree Hill (coffee), Kersbrook, Mt Pleasant (lunch), Keyneton and Gruenberg church (a’tea).

• AQ - enjoy your bus trip tomorrow. It sounds interesting.
    Diane and bjane - I do hope you are safe. I have seen more scenes of tornado destruction on TV this morning.
    Lindy - well, at least you found the birthday card!!!!
    I have only just been able to get on here (1st of the month syndrome I suppose) I have been to the local garden centre for some compost. I also bought 2 pots of sweet pea seedlings. I will now definitely have to get busy in the garden!! Not this afternoon though as I am taking a birthday present to a friend where no doubt we will have a cuppa and a chat.
  • I forgot I've not been on here today -- been busy.

Yesterday visited a pair of relatives who have moved house recently - very hard indeed to find their new house, plus we got caught up in the local rush hour and it took us 15 minutes to do a 2 minute part of the journey. New house very interesting, as its been imaginatively extended. Boring decor, though, so they can't wait to get their paint brushes out!

This morning did my shopping & found it quite busy. I think spring is in the air at last.

AQ -- We had a similar suggestion on our morning TV - "make a delicious sliced treat from left over Easter Eggs & sweeties" -- -- I shouted at the presenter "What do you mean, left over chocolate!!!?"
  • Glad to see that Diane is still with us, and not blown away. The damage did look dreadful on our News coverage.